After front break pad replacement

After I replaced the front brake pads I could smell burning coming from the front right wheel. Well the caliper was to hot to touch and it was burning. The replacement went what I thought without any issues. I used mitsubishi pads and replaced these medal clips inside. The old pads needed to be replaced, down to the were indicator. The rotors were not harmed in any way. Is it possible that the caliper is locked? Just wanted to get more information before I pull it apart...

thx,

Reply to
Larry

stuck caliper most likly could try pushing it in again and have it recenter itself but for safety sake, I'd just replace it

Reply to
coryrhonda

You didn't say vehicle. Since only the 3K/VR4 has true quad piston, I assume this isn't what you have. If, perhaps you do, the 3K front calipers shouldn't be taken apart unless you know what you're doing. You don't need to. If you did, the gasket goes sideways and blocks the return of fluid.

When you took the caliper apart, did you lube the bolts? This is very important and can cause them to stick. Also, check the bolt torque. They shouldn't be on that tight. Think about the force....it isn't in the outward direction. 12 or 15 ft/lbs is more than enough. All the force is lateral.

-- "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Robert Honea

All: the car is a 96 eagle talon awd. Also, I did not take them (cals.) apart, I just removed them to replace the pads. I will get the cost of a new caliper today.

Reply to
LWG

The cost of a new caliper is going to be very high. I would take it off and put some grease on the bolts. It's very likely that some brake dust got in there and is causing them to seize. It wouldn't hurt to bleed the brake too.

-- "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Robert Honea

Reply to
coryrhonda

All: I picked up a brake kit $28 from Mitsubishi. The kit had some special grease, the rubber seals etc. I cleaned everthing up, greased the bolts/sliders and it worked great. I appreciate your help...

Reply to
LWG

BRAKE

Reply to