anyone stick a 3.0 in a 1991 eclipse ?

I have an American Eclipse up here in Canada with 158 on the odom. It is stick but has the lame duck 1.8 Other than swap a turbo in or a 2.0 NT how hard would it be to drop a 3.0 in it.. :) I can get a rebuilt 3.0 Daytona motor with 190hp and all wiring.. yes I know . "WHY"... if you ask... BECAUSE I CAN I hate doing what everyone else is doing and figured the 3.0 , though has been done, is rare.. OR what engine do people recommend other than the 2.0 and 2.0 turbo. OR should I just jack the battery up and roll another car under it.. :)

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

ChEvRoLeT ha scritto:

well, the only question is: have you room enough? if you have, swap the engine.

andrea (1991 eclipse owner...)

Reply to
Andrea

The Eclipse and the 3000GT use the same basic floor pan structure, with a wider body shell on the 3000GT. The front suspension is the same, but the rear is different on the GT.

Hence in theory the 3.0V6 likely fits. It would be an expensive operation however, as the entire exhaust system would have to be custom made, the rad moved a bit, all the engine and trans mounts custom fabricated. The weight distribution would be very poor.

It REALLY is better (and a whole lot cheaper) to convert to a 4G63T with the F5M33 trans. Your 1.8L F5M22 won't handle the power for long.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Oh yes, what were you planning to use for a trans with the V6? The F5M22 does not fit the V6... and even if it did, it would not take the torque for long.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS