Best upgrades for a stock 03 Eclipse GTS ???

I am debating about buying a cold air intake K&N / AEM or a muffler. I know both can help, but which would give me better performance? Is the stock muffler efficient enough? I feel the need for a little deeper more agressive rumble underneath, any ideas on affordable quality mufflers? Thanks.

Reply to
RCjesse

Both will have a marginal effect on performance (eg K&N will give "UP TO 10% more hp"), while making more (pleasant) induction noise and "rumble underneath". More audible engine noise will feel like more performance, and there's nothing wrong with that.

K&N allows more air in, a less restrictive muffler allows exhaust out a bit faster. So, the correct sequence of mods might be

a) replace the entire exhaust with a 1/2" bigger system with a free flow cat and a header system. b) add a K&N c) update your suspension and brakes to be ready for more hp d) replace the existing non-programmable ECU with a programmable system eg Motec. e) injectors, cams, turbo?

You won't see any major performance until d).

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS