Superchips, K&N, etc? Best bang for buck for H.P. increase?

howdy,

i have a 2003 all-stock GT - i'd like to get the most power out of it without doing any heavy work or making it "illegal" - so far people have suggested the "superchip" and also K&N air filter - are these worthwhile investments? i'd rather not change the exhaust system if not necessary - any tips on worthwhile mods for power increase would be appreciated - not looking for huge gains, but just an extra little kick for street performance - has anyone used the superchip? can you feel a difference? does it screw anything up? thank you

Reply to
Snake3

I don't recommend either one. If you're after faster accelleration, consider

3.73 or 4.10 rear gearing. For a quick and cheap 10 hp, consider installing ASP underdrive pullies.

As for the exhaust, consider having a shop replace the 6 cats with 2 high-flow cats for a more of that V-8 growl and a bit more power, without abnoxous amounts of noise. The stock cats are the bottleneck in OEM exhaust systems.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

Damn...6 cats...what the hell is Ford thinking?

Reply to
MPBSR25

Snake3,

You might wanna keep in mind that any mods you do will likely void the warranty. Maybe you should wait until the warranty expires so your ford dealership won't try to f*ck you if something goes wrong. Just my 2 cents. Good luck & congrats on the stang.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

They are smaller so they heat up quicker and get to operating temperature sooner. This greatly reduces pollution during warmup where the majority of pollution occurs (essentially none after everything is hot).

A single cat will work as well AFTER its warmed up but not very good for the first few minutes.

LJH

95GT

news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com...

necessary -

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Just wondering where you get your information? Mods do not automatically void your warranty - see Magnuson-Moss Act. In order for them to refuse warranty work on the basis of mods you've had done, they have to PROVE that a particular mod(s) contributed to the failure of the part/system in question.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

What if a particular mod DID contribute to a part breaking & he/she wanted to take it in under warranty? That's all I'm saying.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Okay, I don't want to be rude here, but do you know what words mean? Let me clarify further. The FMC has to PROVE that the mod was the cause of the failure of the part or system. The burden is on them, it is not up to you to tell them jack shit....

Please read the Magnuson-Moss Act....it's easy to find via Google

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I used to not recommend chips unless you really needed one but I think that has changed.

A chip is no longer acontinually repeat cost. You can do it yourself now. Ed

Reply to
BiteMe

What are the stock gears on the 99-03 GT's with AOD tranny?

What kind of decrease in gas mileage can one expect with 3.73 gearing?

Reply to
Linus

That's why you keep the old OEM parts around so you can stick them back on when something breaks.

Also, just remove the Chip before you go in for Servicing.

Reply to
Katmandu

Thereoetically that's correct, but it doesn't usually work out that way. Alot of times the MPG will vary very little from a gear change.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

experiences,

Reply to
Katmandu

Eric's right, it pretty much takes a set amount of horsepower at the rear wheels to maintain a set speed on the highway due to wind reasistance. Although changing the gears raises the rpm's, the amount of power to needed to travel at 70 mph remains the same. This means that less torque, and less throttle, is required from the engine to make the same RWHP. So, less fuel per revolution plus the higher rpm adds up to similar MPG on the highway.

Reply to
Michael Bolden-King

Right - "Sorry, we won't replace your headlight, because you have modified the exhaust system".

Reply to
John Shepardson

You might wanna keep in mind that any mods you do will likely void the warranty.

Not true at all.

Michael

Reply to
Michael