Eclipse stalls at idle

2003 Eclipse GT automatic

This all started in March after my battery died. I had my car jumped and on the way home I had to keep the idle above 600 or it would stall. I got a new battery and ground cable from checker auto parts. The problem continued so I took it to a mechanic. He noticed that a plastic piece on my air intake was broken, so he replaced it and everything was fine. Well a few days ago, my battery died again. I had it jumped and the problem started again. My car idles fine when cool, but once it warms up the idle drops to 0 and stalls. Sometimes it will idle fine if the AC is on, but once I turn off the AC it stalls and sometimes the idle goes up and down but doesn't stall. I took it to the same mechanic and he looked at the intake but it was fine. He suggested I take ut to a Mitsubishi dealer. The Mitsu repair man told me I had to buy the stock ground harness before he tries anything else because I may not be getting a good enough ground with the aftermarket ground I have. He wanted to charge me $382 for the harness plus labor, so I said no. Any ideas?

Reply to
k8tbaby10

Make sure the throttle body is clean around where the throttle plates close. You can use Carb/Fuel Injection cleaner and a small brush. When the computer loses power, it resets to new car specs (Throttle body was spotless back then).

If you are patient it will relearn without doing anything, but it seems to take forever.

Reply to
G. R. Woodring

I encountered multiple problems after the battery on my 2000 Eclipse GT died last winter. I made sure all of the ground wires were clean and tight and that seemed to improve things a bit. As soon as the weather warmed up in the spring, I found another problem: the radiator cooling fan would not operate when the coolant warmed up. I had a dealer replace the sensor and magically all of my post-dead battery problems went away!

Reply to
bob