Galant Crankshaft damper problem

89 Galant 2.0 auto

Problem- replaced alternator belt after it snapped, all was fine for a couple of days and it snapped again. Upon examination i notice the crankshaft pulley had damaged the lower timing cover. The outer steel ring on the crankshaft pulley has slipped inboard and into the plastic timing belt cover. I removed the pulley and re-position the outer ring, refitted and started engine, all seemed okay. Then i put on new belts and stated engine the outer ring on pulley starte dto slide into timing belt cover again. Is the fault with the pulley or is something causing problem.

TIA chris

Reply to
Christopher Macleod

Common problem. Replace the pulley.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

It is the fault of the pulley. This happened on one of our 2.4's but no belts broke. When I called the Mitsu store they had a new part number so apparently there was an update. The cheapest pulleys were at Rockville Mitsubishi. It was still about $75 plus shipping though. They have some 2.0 parts on clearance right now so you might want to contact them They have a website...If this happens to us again I am goig to JB Weld the outer and inner sections of my junk pulley together and give it a shot. I have a feeling it would last for many miles. The rubber would still absorb the shock and the glue should not be affected to any great degree.....Did yours separate at the mating between the steel center section and the rubber damper?

Reply to
Outlander

Don't take chances repairing a damaged or seperated crankshaft pulley. If it fails, it can cut through the timing belt cover and cause your timing belt to jam or jump, thereby bending or snapping possibly all your valves. If that happens, you'll need a complete head rebuild which costs upwards of $1500. For a $75 crank pulley, it's really not worth it.

Reply to
AWDPetmitsu

mine is doing the same thing so does anyone know where i can get a new pulley for cheap or get a aftermarket one? if you do then please e-mail me. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks

Reply to