1982 900 crankshaft pulley source?

Mine is dying, but I can't seem to find a source on-line. Does anyone know of a source of these pulleys.

Reply to
Jim Babcock

Yes, there's a guy down the road from me who sells them.

Reply to
Grunff

Try a place like Autohaus-AZ at "

", or Saab EngineParts at "
". Those places have connectionsdirectly into bulk auto parts distribution and supply companies so you canget just about anything that way. I haven't seen crankshaft pulley's for the earlier (pre-1987) C900's at either PartsforSaabs or Elkparts.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

How does one know when these are going bad? Is it something I can check

*before* it happens?
Reply to
James Sweet

The crank pulley, or harmonic balancer, consists of two pieces of steel

- an inner disk and an outer ring - with a rubber band sandwitched between them.

As the rubber ages, it is no longer capable of transmitting full torque to the outer ring, so you get slippage between inner disk (driven by the crankshaft) and outer ring (which drives the belts).

The symptoms usually start with a squeal on startup, and on revving etc. Similar to belt squeal. This gradually gets worse, until the pulley eventially comes apart.

A good way to keep an eye on it: using white marker, draw a couple of lines on the outer surface of the pulley (the face you can see), running from the center to the outer edge. These lines cross the rubber band. If you ever get slippage, the lines will no longer line up. A quick glance at the pulley at service time will tell you if there's been any slippage.

Reply to
Grunff

Ah, that makes sense, didn't realize the belts were driven through the harmonic ballancer.

Reply to
James Sweet

As versus what? AFAIK all belt drives come off the harmonic balancer...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I never paid much attention, haven't had one break but I just assumed the pully was driven off the center portion and the weighted part of the balancer wasn't connected to anything. I've only ever dealt with that part on Volvos though.

Reply to
James Sweet