how can i get a L200 in the us?

i want a L200 quad cab 4wd with the diesel motor how can a get a right hand drive one in the usa?

Reply to
mpberti

You start with checking what state/federal regulations apply to importation of complete roadworthy RHD vehicles. Most likely you simply can't. Damaged front cuts, yes... Aside from that there are all the regulations for emissions, bumper height/minimal damage, headlight for LHD and so forth.

Frankly, don't bother: its cheaper to select a locally available "equivalent" vehicle.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

ok i meant that i want the string wheel on the left hand side of the car and drive and the right hand side if the road. The L200 is built off the same chassis,and many of the cab parts as the montero sport. the

2.8L tdi was never offered in the USA not sure what the smog on would be I don't think its too stiff for old diesel's. That being said there is no "equivalent" vehicle in the USA so that rules that out. They use a H4 headlamp. I'm pretty sure that the H4 is street legal in the US. The bumpers are the same as the montero sport. Minimal damage I imagine to be the same if not close. Ill check the regs do you know where I would start to find them?
Reply to
mpberti

Converting a RHD vehicle (or its interior if you use the Montero chassis) is not a job for the illinformed or technically naive.

The onus is on you, the applicant, to show that any mods are compliant. Authorities won't accept "its the same as ": you have to have proof. This in particular applies to emissions. Its easy enough to get a test, but if it does not comply, its your problem to make the all modifications necesary to gain compliance. You clearly don't have the tectnical background to do this yourself.

H4 bulbs are of course acceptable, but that's not the issue: headlamp units are built for LHD or RHD, and you can't "adjust" a RHD unit to work in a LHD vehicle. The result is glare to oncoming vehicles. Good news is that its easy enough to adapt after market lights, or possibly use Montero units.

Contact your local DMV (eg their website) for details on the regulations that apply. I'm pretty certain that you'll still find its not worth doing.

If you really want the TDI engine, why not import one and built it into the Montero?

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

naa the montero is the wifes truck and it 2wd the bastereds didn't offer the 2.4 in 4wd. The L200 is a pick up truck. That means that the safety reg are a lot looser. I believe that pre 2006 there no emission regs on diesel trucks. I would try to get one from Netherlands or France. Then i have the driver and passenger air bags pickups have no side impact regs . You know its all a pipe dream, but ide trade my 2002 ram 1500 4x4 for one in a hart beet. LOL

o yea did i mention that i was a diesel motor and pump tec for 12 for a California fire dept. Give me a little credit

Reply to
mpberti