Is it safe to buy an Evo w/ Mitsu's financial instability?

I was planning to get an Evolution VIII MR or an STi in the August/September time frame. I've driven both and I prefer the Evo's looks and more important, the razor sharp steering which is the closest to the go-kart response as I have ever found. The Subie certainly has the better interior though with the MR getting most of the things that the Evo was missing (6-speed, active diff's, etc) the line was blurred.

Simple question: What are the odds of buying a car and suddenly finding myself in the same boat as someone who bought a Daewoo? You know, those unfortunate souls who bought a $17k car and found themselves on a $2,500 car when the company pulled out of the US. It doesn't help when even the local newspapers are saying Mitsu is broke, Chrysler didn't help with their cash infusion and is actually trying to dump the 37% stake it has, MHI (Mitsu Heavy Industries) isn't planning to bail them out, etc...

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if they are still there in August...

Reply to
DragonRider

FWIW, people on evolutionm.net are already reporting-- in the U.S.-- that Mitsubishi has undertaken an active, managed effort to void EVO 8 warranties.

This effort appears to involve searching newsgroups, websites, of course evolutionm.net postings, and includes looking at rosters of competitors at amateur racing events such as SCCA, possibly even noting license plates and VINs at tracks, looking for ways to get out of warranty coverage.

Personally, I don't believe *ALL* of that, but there's a heck of a lot of smoke on this issue.

Read:

H. Brown

Interesting... It's almost as bad as a Chrysler 7/70 warranty. That one is void upon actually trying to start the car...

Hi, Subaru? Got my STi ready yet?

Reply to
DragonRider