Lancer Keys

Hello group I purchased a used 05 Lancer ES from a VW dealer. I haven't been able to find out, does the trunk take a separate key? Neither of the keys we received with the car will open the trunk. I have to unlock the door and pull the lever to open it. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a trailer hitch? We use it only for our bike carrier, no actual trailering.

TIA Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

I think there is a lever beside the drivers seat nearest the door, and also the fuel opening unit, ???

Good luck

Reply to
Raven

dude make the ahole dealer get you a key. Don't let them stick it to you

Reply to
mpberti

The keys you recieved with your used Lancer are the valet keys. The regular keys have an extra notch cut in them so they will open the trunk. What I had to do when I had this problem is take your vin number to your local dealer and they will cut a set of new keys. It should only cost a couple of dollars for each key.

gb

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."

-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Detail> Hello group

Reply to
gray-beard

Thank You Gray Beard That's what I needed to know.

Reply to
Detailing Dude

You do not need a separate key for the trunk on the Lancer. My guess is the barrel lock is jammed with dirt/dust and so the tumblers inside will not accept the key. The usual method to remedy this is to take out the lock and clean it .Often a good dousing with WD40 wiill clean it.

Reply to
jonny

Maybe I don't get what you mean, the keys (both) go all the way , it just doesn't turn. Is this you intent or did you think the keys won't go in?

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

The Key will will go in all the way, but wont turn because the locking barrel is jammed with dirt. My own Lancer has this problem Just about every winter Due to salt and dirt . There is a small cover on the lock that should open and close as you enter the key If this is jammed open the lock barrel will fill with dirt.and stick. Every so often i have to squirt in WD 40 to clean it. In fact i could not use the trunk key yesterday so i guess its time to take the WD 40 out again. Guess if i used the key more instead of the trunk lever then this would not happen.

Reply to
jonny