Lowered 2003 Eclipse

Recently I have put a set of coilover springs to lower my car. The guy that installed them said my shocks and struts are worn out. And now it rubs real bad and it sounds like the whole car is bottoming out on every bump. I know I need to raise it up some but will buying new shocks and struts help the ride..... and are there special shocks and struts for lowered cars (Eclipse) Thanks TY4PLAYING

Reply to
ty4playing

Have you heard of the concept of matching spring rates to the rates of your hydraulic dampers?

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

ty4playing ha scritto:

as Bhagat told, it's of paramount importance to buy a complete set of lowered spings and shocks. otherwise, you'll have simply the appearance of lowered car, but not the driveability.

on ebay or other places you should find both expensive and cheap sets, but be careful: to lower a car is not simple, you have to change all the configuration to cope with new suspension geometry, so it's not a do-it-yourself job.. trust on a reliable workshop in order to do the job.

and, imho a couple od sway bars help driveability more thank lowered springs, in road condition.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

As both Andrea and Bhagat said, your coils and your struts should match. Your struts are designed for a certain amount of travel and a set stiffness in that range, changing your coils screws up what the struts were designed to do. Not to mention all coils are NOT created equal. Most manufactures will sell you a strut/coil combination for any amount of lowering you want to do. Check Koni and Tokiko for ideas.

No first hand experience but from what I have read, Andrea is correct. Lowering the car does very little for handling and makes for a scraped up front bumper from driveways.

I added standard height Tokiko HP struts to my car and they help the handling a LOT. Front tower strut brace also helps, but makes the car stiffer so you pick up more rattles.

Before you go spending much more money on upgrades do some research first - the best place

or vfaq.com.

Reply to
John