passenger rear clunking sound

hi, in the rear end there is a clunking sound, mostly when hitting a bump. anyone know what this might be? thanks

Could be several things, loose rear suspension, tail pipe knocking against the underbody, if you know some one with a hoist, and then do a eye check moving things as you go, my guess is either rear suspension or tailpipe.
Good luck
Peter

thanks for your help, i know its not the tailpipe, my suspicions is something worse.
What do you suspect ??
Peter

ball joints?
"sput" wrote: > ball joints?
When it happened to me in my 94 Eclipse it was the rear shocks. Hit a bump, even going out of my driveway, and it made awful noise, like tires rubbing against fender well or they were bottoming out. I replaced shocks and it went away. It wasnt too bad a job to replace them. Now I got more serious problems. Anyway, hope that helps.
Bill