1995 Eclipse GST Rough Ride

Hello all, I bought a 1995 Eclipse GST with 78k miles on it about a month ago now. Well the ride is finally getting to me, it seems like it hits the bumpstops in a hurry on the numerous bumps around this city. I really doubt the struts are bad, i'm thinking this is just normal, but this is terrible ride quality and I don't want to sell it just for that but if I have to I will. I know this was the new design at the time so i know how that goes. Can anyone tell me there ride quality on there 1995 talon's, eclipse gst/gsx's? Other than that the car is excellent in every other way. I didn't want to spend 400 bucks on struts and have it ride the same. Also when the road is smooth it rides like it's on a smooth sheet of ice. Also looking for any recommendations too.

Thanks, Stephen

1995 Eclipse GS-T
Reply to
Stephen Porter

If it hits the bump stops, then either a) the previous owner fitted lowered springs; or/and b) the struts are stuffed. Just because the odometer shows 78K does not mean the struts are OK. Odometers can be changed with lower mileage units from a wrecker, or reset to any mileage desired...

Check for oil leaks on the strut body. KYB GR2's are an acceptable choice. After 9 years, replace the strut top insulators too, as these stretch after a while and don't absorb road noise any more.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Ok there is still plenty of wheel gap in there so i'm guessing they aren't lowering springs. Maybe the struts are worn out. How much are those KYB's and those isolators? Anything else you can think of? So i'm guessing this isn't normal for this car? ;)

Reply to
Stephen Porter

KYB GR2 struts for an Eclipse are about C$100 each. Check with your local speed shop. Strut insulators you get from a Mitsu dealer: I replaced some three weeks ago, about C$45 each. Rear KYBs are also about $100 each.

Add labour to install, and probably a wheel alignment.

Other stuff? Your front lower arm bushes are soft by now. Replace either with std or aftermarket from Energy Suspension. See what is available for the rear bushes too. These will return the ride to new car feel. Check with you speed shop.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

What do you think about the difference in ride with me buying gabriel struts from autozone instead of the kyb's? Would it ride more oem and better than the kyb's? Just wouldn't handle as good?

Reply to
Stephen Porter

I have no experience with Gabriels. KYBs can take the punishment. I have Koni's in one car, used Tokico's in rally cars.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

anything will ride better than OEM.

I've heard KYB's are more for trucks, stiffer type rides. I'd look into the monroe sensatrac's.. the Gabriel's are nothing more than OEM equivalent's.. maybe a tad better..

If you want a stiff sport ride, look into Bilstein's..

Reply to
Eric F

Hmm ok i'll look into that Monroe strut. I always thought the OEM struts/shocks on cars were the best you can get as far as comfortable ride. Also what other bushings besides the lower control arms should I replace too?

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Porter

Mitsu have used KYB as OEMs for years. GR2's are not particularly stiff, just noticably better than the originals. I've used Sensatraks, and find the quality patchy and the new ride condition deteriorates within six months, to so-so. GR2s are about the same price as the Sensatraks, last longer and are IMHO a better strut.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS