Dragging rear brake.

My right rear brake has started to drag and the brake idiot light has lit up.

Best guesses as to the cause? My Miata is a 1990 which hasn't had any work done on the brakes in quite some time, so I suspect perhaps the guide pin(s) are not sliding smoothly, but that's just a guess.

Reply to
Alan Baker

My first guess would be that the emergency brake adjustment screw on the rear caliper has the piston too far open and needs to be backed off, and both adjusting that and lubing the pins is very easy to do, but.....

Almost every set of miata brakes that I have serviced have had dry pins yet were still working without dragging, but lubing the guide pins about once every year or two is still a good idea.

Have your calipers ever been rebuilt or replaced? If not, I would look at the boots for wear and deterioration and at the pistons for corrosion and pitting, though on a 1990, a caliper rebuild or replacement would be basically mandatory for me at this point if they are original.

If the calipers are in good condition and the problem persists, then I would look at the emergency brake cable to see if it is snagging.

Pat

Reply to
pws