1992 4Runner Brake Problem

I have recently changed my brake system which included, calibers, rotors, lines, brakes. Since I did this change, I was losing brake pressure in the lines so I changed the master cylinder. I have changed the master cylinder 3 times, and this last time, it lasted a little longer, but now I have noticed that on 2 ocassions as I was backing up, I lost my brakes and I also feel the brakes sometimes becomes spongy. I also feel as I brake, the peddle sometimes goes down then I feel the peddle pushing back up. What could be causing this problem, since I have changed everything that I know in the brake system?

Please Help!!

Thanks!!

Reply to
Eagle1957

Some more information would be helpful in the diagnosis.

Did you use all OEM or aftermarket parts? If some parts were aftermarket, which ones?

When you say you replaced the "brakes," does that mean the brake pads?

Does the vehicle have disc or drum brakes in the rear? Is there any loss of fluid?

Does the vehicle have ABS?

When you replaced the lines, did you also replace the hoses between the lines and calipers? Did you use a 1-piece brake line or are there unions or splices?

How did you adjust the pushrod setting on the master cylinder?

Reply to
Ray O

If you are using after market parts, your supplier could have a bad lot of them. I have run into this before on non OEM masters when pressure would not build to bleed the system. When I took apart the master, it had been assembled incorrectly (a lot of time wasted). I re assembled it correctly and it worked fine. It was one of those instances where a pressure bleeder would not have had a problem (I wasn't using it) and then of course when you completed the job and tried to operate the brakes normally, the brakes would not work. If it's not, I would buy the Toyota part. IMHO.

Reply to
user