Outlander condenser fan keeps running

My 2003 Outlander's (electric) condenser fan stays on after turning the vehicle off. I realize that if it's very hot outside, the fan may run for a few seconds after turning the engine off, but this happens everytime, even in cool weather or after very short drives. Now it is also cycling erratically. Does anyone know what switch or relay would control that and if it is easy enough to replace without having to take it into a shop?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
mavasq

Most likely the temperature switch at the bottom of the radiator. This controls the fan relay. Could also be the ralya itself. What happens is the contacts arc (usually on vehicles older than yours because the fan is drawing excessive current) and then stick together.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Mike ,

Theres an ongoing recall for the fan ecu in Canada , im not sure if this recall applies to your vehicle but it might be wise to get it checked out . I dont have specific details of the reason for the recall , but i believe the control units are burning out , possibly caused by fans running all the time .

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dawson

Thanks Jeff, I'll contact the local dealer here.

Reply to
Mike