Purchase Question?

Ok...could anybody help me out. I may purchase a 95 Eagle Talon. I know this is a mitsubishi group but I couldn't find any for the Talon. I've been looking for something to mod and play around with. Its a 95 turbo all wheel drive model...the only problem is the turbo is missing!! I'm thinking maybe a B16, boost control, injectors and exhaust. Can anybody tell me exactly what it would take to get this well into the 12's.....I've been trying to learn all i can about this car and what it would take...only problem is my whole life I've owned V8's and this is all forigen to me...no pun intended!

Brian

Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

A 95 Talon is a Mitsubishi. It isn't a B16, although it may be a 420A. If it's AWD, it has to have a turbo. No non-turbo AWD vehicles were made.

Reply to
Robert Honea

You might want to be very sure that it is, indeed, an AWD (as in look underneath and put your hands on the rear drive shafts). Either the turbo is gone, they lost the motor, or it simply isn't the right vehicle/engine. All GSX's and TSi AWD's came with the turbo. No exceptions.

Why? Having a car with 1 forward and 5 reverse gears and not nearly enough torque to move that car wouldn't be very practical. Honda motors (including their beloved B16) spin backwards from the rest of the planet. Exception being the S-2000.

Without the engine and the turbo those would be pretty pointless.

Sounds like you need to find someone competent with DSM's and take them with you to look over the car. Either that or take the car to a Mitsu dealership and have them give you a pre-buyers inspection. It might be worth $35-70 (1/2 - 1 hour on average rates) to save yourself a few grand if it's a basketcase. It seems that you only have two categories of owners with the turbo DSM's. You either have the one that cherishes the car and maintains it impeccably or the ones who have fallen to teens and young twenties who modify the hell out of them, neglect the general maintenance ("Hmm.. timing belt change or new boost controller and DVD player?"), and generally drive them into the ground. The only reason the latter sells the car is that repairs are more than they can afford or than the car is worth. Be VERY careful, especially in that year range.

Reply to
DragonRider

If indeed the turbo has been removed, then I can't see how the engine will run. Certainly it won't perform very well. I would guess that the engine is toast and the turbo was the only bit worth enything, or else its an insurance write off, and the turbo and other bits were stripped.

Perhaps the writer means that the turbo engine has been removed and replaced with a non-turbo model. Not particularly hard to do, and somewhat easier than converting a no-turbo to turbo.

And don't forget to have it checked for crankwalk, as a 95 is a 7 bolt motor.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Yep its an AWD...I looked it over good. Apparently the turbo went out and some idiot tried to fix it. I donno...the car is in otherwise great condition and even has brand new Zrated tires....all for about $1600. The one thing that scares me is its not running...so I have no idea whats broke (other than turbo)! This isn't going to be a daily driver just a fun lil project. From what i've read these lil cars are fairly cheap to mod and very fun.

Brian

Reply to
Wranglerjeep1