REPLACING A TURBO???

-'91 talon

Can the turbo on this car be removed and re-installed without taking out the exhaust manifold? If so, is it a difficult job to do in the backyard and what are the main difficulties and problems getting it out and re-installing it?

Also, I have the smaller TDO4H turbo and exhaust manifold as compared to the larger TDO5H that is standard on the cars that have the manual transmission (I have the auto trans). It is set at the factory for 10 lbs. boost. I WAS running 12 lbs. for a while before this 13 yr. old/

153,000 mi. turbo gave out. Is 12 lbs. too much for this thing? Because I was actually happy with the way the car was running and I'm considering having the turbo rebuilt for $275. but only if I think I can safely run it at 12-12.5 lbs. again and have it last a few years. BTW, I achieved the 12 lbs. by disconnecting the vacuum hose at the waste gate actuator so the turbo had no restrictions on it and the stock gauge read and felt like 12 lbs. Any input is helpful, greg
Reply to
Greg

put the money towards a 14B or 16G. $300 gets you a used 16G all day long...i gave you the link to the trader. your little turbo will be off the edge of it's map and be making more hot air than boost but it will deal with higher boost levels without a problem. i ran my 14B and 16G turbos between 15 and 17 psi, everyone does.... do you have a boost gauge? what are you doing for fuel control? i believe the older auto cars have itty-bitty injectors too...375cc i believe 450cc is stock on the 5 speed car.

Reply to
simpleton