Re: Turbo charged ford V6

Hi people

> I'm think of popping a turbo onto my 2800cc carb'ed ford V6 Cologne engine, > Has anyone done this mod or suggest a company that supplies kits ? > Or can someone suggest websites to start looking at that are'nt USA based? >

First things first..

Do you really want to run one turbo ? generally single turbo V engines use a large turbo, which can be a bit unresponsive, but provide a lot of power. Thus twin turbo conversions are much more popular as it allows the use of smaller more responsive turbos. This raises another question.. do you want sequential turbos ? this basically lets you have a small turbo that spins up very easily to begin producing boost and then a larger turbo to provide more power, the idea is that the small one gives the response and the larger one high boost. You can just run a pair of turbos in parallel ( i.e. both the same, one for each bank ). What pistons have you got ? if they are cast you'll need something stronger to take anything past 5/6psi. Carbs & Turbos don't always go together, suggest you think about swapping to a mappable ECU that can control the fuelling & ignition properly, rather than the "poke and hope" of a carb setup. Think about the rods as well, these may need to be strengthened ( i.e. replaced ) before any worthwhile boost is used.

IMHO unless its doing 12psi upwards you're wasting your time.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Have a look at the Blowthru turbo group on Yahoo groups.

They do tend to be US dominated, but there are other guys arround the world on there, and they aren't all chugging away at V8's some of them love the 6 cylinder studes, and one guy plans to blow a midget. Another guy is working on a turboed Fiat engined Yugo.

Biggest thing for you is the fact they they despise Fuel injection, and have pretty much mastered the art of carb sealing, and fuel pressure regulation between themselves.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Broadspeed or Tickford _used_ to do conversions; there may be the remains of a kit hiding in someone's garage. If it was a 2.9i, SPeak to Turbo Technics, as the gaffers sprint car is (or was) a twin turbo 2.9.

The only turbo's carbs now available are for a Renaut 5 GT Turbo, or a Lotus Esprit Turbo, or a Montego Turbo. Rob the injection bits off an early Mk3

2.8 Granada - they were EFi - then have a word with turbo technics to see if they've got any bits left!
Reply to
Phil Howard

snip

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry mate, but we can't let this one go! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Reply to
Jamesy

Od mental picture just formed, not involving cars.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

someone mentioned me :)

heres the deal you need to have injection for this to work simply because the ford MFi as found in the mk2 Granada and early sierra's compensates for fuelling in some way so, after you've done that, you can go on the look out for a turbo technics single turbo kit bolt on job will give you 200 horses low comp head will give you 240 bhp pistons will give you 250 bhp

or you can find a janspeed kit, with 2 turbo's :)

if you wish to stay with the carb then I would suggest you get hold of the turbo kit first and then mod it to suit, it's only the fuelling side that needs sorting, as well as the pipework, and working out which carb to use :) the 2.8 uses quite a large throttle body as standard so that's a big benefit

Reply to
dojj

I'm sure Turbo Technics did this conversion on the 2.8 V6 and put them in Capris mainly, running twin turbos. There was the a top of line conversion called the Myerr Cat (spelling?) which pushed out about 340 Bhp I believe. But this was back in the 80's. Rich

Reply to
Richard Brant

Richard Brant raved thus:

:: I'm sure Turbo Technics did this conversion on the 2.8 V6 and put :: them in Capris mainly, running twin turbos. :: There was the a top of line conversion called the Myerr Cat :: (spelling?) which pushed out about 340 Bhp I believe. But this was :: back in the 80's. Rich

V6 Sierras were popular for twin turbos ISTR. There was a bloke up here who used to run a twin turbo 2.9i Sierra estate.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

Hopefully the midget, and not the guy blowing him - Ouch! ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

You can get 240bhp /without/ pistons? Now that's clever ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

LOL!!!!!!!! the minker had a full house everything done to it to make 323 bhp and huge torque timed at 4.9 - 60 and 170 mph top end at the time it was, from ford, new, £32k but would see off almost everything that the Italians and Germans had to offer :) if you didn't want the bodykit then it was the ultimate Q car

Reply to
dojj

I have a turbo technics 220T turbo kit for the V6 Cologne engine, but its not for sale ha ha ha.... you need as mentioned the early Mechanical Fuel Injection, and the patience to fit everything and test the system completely.

Don't just get one and bolt it on you need to really think through what you want doing to this power crazy* engine...

-- Deviant Devanti

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

*This engine has a lot of potential to create power, the only bottleneck in its design is the two port exhaust manifold/head design. the 2.9 has three ports and EFi but is restricted within some respects of DIY tuning. (Special tools required).

Reply to
Deviant Devanti

or you can source the 3 port heads frmo the states :) siamiesed ports on the 2.8 were it's biggest downfall if you want to go the turbo route then i suggest getting hold of a granada efi 2.8 and useing the inlets off of that

Reply to
dojj

" dojj" schreef in bericht news:bkha48$g38$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

and what about Cosworth 24V? that engine has the most potential I guess

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

No it's a 12-valve Detroit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

HUGE amunts of work to get it to work but mate has got one all done and dusted with the turbo kit on it :) it's taken him about 18 months work of work to do it htough :)

Reply to
dojj

but we are getting away from the point he wants to turbo his 2.8 carb'd engine for the amount of money that it is going to cost him, it's better to source a 2.9 Granada and drop that lump in and THEN turbo it

Reply to
dojj