Intermittent Engine warning light on Daewoo

My sister-in-law has a Daewoo Lanos 1600 DOHC 45,000miles R-reg. It had an intermediate service in December, about 4,000 miles ago.

She says a few days ago the 'Engine' warning light has started to come on intermittently while driving. This is a red light with a symbol of an engine on it, and it comes on for a minute or so, "every so often" (?).

The extremely helpful manual that came with the car says this means there is a problem with the engine (wow, that's useful to know!). It says if the light comes on permanently then the car must not be driven as it may cause permanent damage to the engine. It says nothing about an intermittent light.

She says the car seems to be running fine. I checked the water, oil, brake fluid and pas fluid levels and these were OK (although not really expecting these to cause the warning light problem).

Does anyone have any ideas as to ....

a) What this light really means? b) What actually operates this light? c) What the cause of its intermittent operation may be? d) What to do about it?

Many thanks for any help given.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My sister-in-law has a Daewoo Lanos 1600 DOHC 45,000 miles R-reg. It had an internediate service in December, about 4,000 miles ago.

She says a few days ago the 'Engine' warning light started lighting up intermittently. This is a red light with an engine symbol on it, and it apparently lights up for a minute or so, "every so often" (every few minutes?). She says the car is running fine.

I checked the oil, water, brake and pas fluid levels OK, although I didn't really expect these to cause the warning light. I did notice the oil was exactly at the minimum level and told her to get some oil for it - but this wouldn't cause the intermittent engine warning light would it ? Surely if anything it would bring up the oil light ?

The manual that came with the car says this light means there is a problem with the engine....wow, that's useful to know! It says if the light is on permanently then don't run the engine as it may permanently damage it, but it says nothing about an intermittent light.

Does anyone know...

a) What this light REALLY means ? b) What device actuates this light ? c) What might possibly cause this problem ? d) What may be a suitable fix for it ?

Many thanks for any help given.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It means that it is detecting a fault! the light is an engine managment lamp, and is designed to illuminate when it detects a fault with the engine

*or* any of the sensors and bit's that keep it happy. The best answer is to get it scanned with a fault code reader.
Reply to
Fred

intermittantly due to lack of oil pressure at low engine rpm.

KG

Reply to
not-a-rip-off

I love these lamps. On one car, it was called the "Check Engine" lamp... well it was still there!

You'll need to get the ECU fault codes read. It could be any number of things, but probably a duff sensor - if you have the fault codes read it's a start but it probably won't tell you what's wrong with it.

Reply to
DervMan