Stiff 5 speed clutch and shifter plus some whinning noise.

I have a '95 Galant LS 5 speed trans. Bought the car about 8yrs ago. Car doesn't have too much problems except the clutch feels stiff and gears seem to be stiff. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? Another issue I have is when I first start my car in the day and I have the a/c / heat knob turned to the on position the car makes a loud whinning noise which does go away in about 2-3 mins, is there anything I can do to fix that and about how much? It would be great if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

Reply to
GaLoong

Check the oil level in the transmission.

The shaft the release bearing runs on may be dry. This is quite difficult to get at. You MAY be able to put a long hose on a WD 40 can, take the release arm boot off and get some WD40 onto the shaft. Its probably not this,as otherwise you have to take out the transmission.

Your clutch may also be nearly worn out. Whats the mileage on the car?

Look under the dash at the lever that pushes the clutch master. This bolts on to the end of the pedal pivot shaft, using a slotted hole. This hole can deform, preventing the clutch from fully releasing. The pedal pivot shaft has synthetic bushes (Delrin?) that wear out. This can make the pedal bind on its pivot housing. If the clutch pedal has significant R-L slop, or/and large up-down slop, there's wear to be fixed. I removed the pedal assembly from my 93 Expo wagon (same principle as the Galant) and had a machine shop make new tighter bushes.

A/C belt idler bearing? May also be cam belt tensioner bearing(s).

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

======= ======= what he said...... diddo

prices??

Basic clutch job= $450-$600 (they'll be looking for extras....hydraulics,axle seals,etc.)

belts..AC comp..idler pully..etc..??? ain't got a clue. sorry.

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~

Reply to
MarshMonster2624

Reply to
MarshMonster2624

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a look.

Reply to
GaLoong