tons of problems

I recently bought a 97 eclipse GS. I'm trying to get her running like brand new but I have run into 3 problems. First I installed an intake system. I get the "whistles" that I hear mean that there is an air leak. How can I find/fix this? My next question is on the mechanical antenna. It was replaced by the used car lot when I bought it, but it recenty came unlodged and just fell off the car. When I put it back on it didn't go all the way down when I turned the radio off and just fell off again. And the motor that raises and lowers it just comes on by itself now. Is there a good alternative to the mechanical antenna? And finally there is a knocking noise under the car. It usually happens twice when I'm going very slow. Once when I get up around 10 MPH and then again when the car slows down to about 10 MPH. Can somebody out there please help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
justcurious

What type of intake did you put on? Brand, etc.

The power antenna is supposed to extend when you turn the radio on and retract when it is off. Sounds like they installed it incorrectly. I like the non-retractable whip antennas. TG

Reply to
TG

keep in mind that the oem intake is designed to be quiet. you give up that when you install aftermarket.

Reply to
simpleton

The intake is an APC intimidator. Does anyone know where to find a nice replacement antenna? Preferably one that isn't mechanical.

Reply to
justcurious

I understand that. But is the whisle ok then? I checked it today and the seals seem to be airtight. I've also been meaning to ask you simpleton, why are you so hell bent on the 1G engines?

Reply to
justcurious

I can answer that! Simply because the 1G is the better engine by far. The 2G turbo has a deplorable history of failures due to crankwalk, apparently caused by a design fault thats not present in the 1G turbo engines.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

"I understand that. But is the whisle ok then? I checked it today and the seals seem to be airtight."

you probably have an air leak. reassemble everything using hairspray as a lube/sealant. what i meant before is, on the oem set up you have an inlet tract that is designed to be quiet. this is a very important design feature on an oem intake. you can think of it as an acoustic version of a balance shaft. with an aftermarket part there is no though given to noise, it's about flow and what ever reasonant point occurs in the system randomly. a little air leak can "excite" the pipe and cause it to howl or squeal.

" I've also been meaning to ask you simpleton, why are you so hell bent on the 1G engines?

the 1G 6 bolt DSM 4G63 is one hell of a motor. you can do 500whp. on stock internals. the 1995 and newer cars had 7 bolt cranks , a revised oiling system, and smaller rod journals. there is nothing really wrong with the crankshaft but the new oiling system allows for a severe drop in oil pressure if a tiny check ball on an oil squirter gets stuck open. this is thought to be a big culprit in the crankwalk problem plaguing the 2G 7 bolt motor. the 6 bolt motor also features squirters but they source their oil from the main gallery and NOT FROM THE JOURNAL. the small bit of endplay in the crank is all it takes to wipe out the crank angle sensor and then you are done. my sensor died with just .015" clearance. the 1G motors just do not see the frequency of failure that the 2G motors do. go here and read up:

simpleton

I would love to put in one of those 1G turbos. But I would never have enough to do it. There is a import junk yard around me but I think even that would be too much. I need to win the lottery!

Reply to
justcurious

Where did you get the antenna from? And how much was it if you don't mind sharing?