94 Galant Keyless Remote Oddity (NOT PROGRAM)

I bought a 94 Galant used and it came with a single remote. I want to replace this one (as it is cracked from a drop) as well as purchase and program another one. My local dealer is unable to find a proper remote for my car and I've been looking around and am at a loss as well. Because everything I can tell, this is a FORD remote.

The back of the remote says the following:

TRANSMITTER FCC ID GQ43VT4T DOC. 1470 K763 TRW Inc 3165189

It is a two button remote with only "Lock" and "Unlock" as the options. Every google, yahoo, and ebay search I do pulls back Ford and Lincoln remotes. In fact, I haven't seen a single two button version, but there are many three button versions that look exactly like this one, except the third button is a "Panic" button.

My local dealer says maybe someone just adapted the Mitsu remote into the body of this other remote. Ok, plausible, I've seen weirder things, like a dude with a Recycle button in his VW Jetta running on Vegetable Oil that looks so integrated with the dash that you would think it came right from VW. So maybe someone cut up the breadboard, etc.

I open the remote up and the electronics fit the remote *exactly*, even has a little rubber boot thing around it which I figure is some sort of attempt at weatherization. But it doesn't look at all cut. Very smooth and very exacting. Which leads me to believe this this breadboard came in this shape from TRW, Inc.

So I flip the thing over, and it has THREE buttons. Ok, weird, but I pull the rubber cover off and the bread board underneath looks like it has silver pads to support up to FIVE buttons. So things are definitely getting weirder.

On the back of the breadboard is the only place I can find *any* writing at all, and it is:

3165227 Rev A 11

Ok, so my thought at this point, the back of the transmitter says 3165189, the inside says 3165227. Very similar number. Again a google on 3165189 brings back all kinds of links to Ford and Lincoln remotes. A google on

3165227 brings back nothing. (Well, nothing of interest, brings back some European telephone numbers or something)

I am unable to find any pictures of the factory remote for the 94 Galant. Plenty of pics for 91 up 3000's, even for new galants (which look nothing like this would have to be laid out.) and for the SUV's, but not for my particular car.

Ok, no problem, the 94 3000 GT appears to also have a TRW, Inc. provided remote keyless system. From what I can understand the FCC ID for that system is GQ43VT6T. Ford is VT4T. Again, very close, but the shape is wrong, more ovular where this is very much square. Also the full third button still intrigues me, I am half tempted to pull the front off again (it's taped on, cracked remember) and push the third button, just to see if it does anything.

Anyway, I'm rambling, I know. Just trying to give every ounce of info I think is important here.

I guess my major questions are:

Does anyone have a 1994 Galant with Factory Keyless that has a TRW, Inc. Keyless system? If so, can you get a digital picture of the remote? Is it square? What is it's FCC ID? Is the number after TRW, Inc. the 3165227 number? Howabout this, because I know there are some 94's with the TRW system .... Does anyone have a picture of the specific BCU brains for the keyless system? Is it at all similar to the Ford system? Is it even conceivable that someone could have damaged a system so badly .... that they happened to own a Ford that they were parting out .... saw the BCU interface was the same .... and plugged a TRW, Inc. Ford Keyless unit into my Mitsu?

I'm kind of at a loss here, as I really would like a couple of new remotes. I'm half tempted to purchase the Ford Remotes and see if I can get them to program against my Mitsu. I also think I'm going to call the NA division of TRW, Inc. on Monday and start asking them similar questions as well.

Thanks for any answers the community has.

Reply to
LrdEclpse