1 millions miles and get a free saab!

i bet it's not on the original tyres :)

Vamp

He's been working on this for a while. The deal (until very recently) was with Saab, and they said yeah sure, take it to a million and we will put it in the Saab Museum in Trollhatten and replace it.

But since the GM takeover, nobody told the bean counters in Detroit, and they refused when he actually rolled over the million.

So he gave it to local private museum and made as much press as possible in the US and in the Saab communities about saying "f*ck you Saab, your word means nothing". Suddenly they give him a new car, but didn't think of making anything out of a Million mile Saab, like having him drive upto the factory gates and say to the security guard "Excuse me, this one is done, can I have a new one", then zoom the camera into the odometer.

Then go to some snappy tag line like "Saab, this one might be a keeper", or something equally cheesy. Of course a Vectra isn't a real 900, but they would like you to keep thinking it is.

Reply to
Elder

Apparently, apart from service/wear and tear consumables, everything else is original factory fit, apart from the transmission that failed in the first 250k. The turbo, brakes, suspension etc were just serviced as needed.

Reply to
Elder

Used Mobil 1 synthetic, religiously changed...(which helps!) He did the headgasket too as a 'precaution'. apart from that, nothing. Bottom ends on those older saabs really are bullet proof. Though I guess he didn't use the turbo much to get 750000 miles out of a 900 tranny..:-)

The famous 2 million mile Volvo P1800 had 1 full engine rebuild and 3500 mile oil changes.

Reply to
john

He actually put in a bit of track time according to another interview with about the the years he had driven it.

And Mobil 1 is, or was before the GM take over, branded as Saab Turbo oil. I think now though they have some bulk thing going on with another packager, which make one brand of Saab oil for the dealerships, whether your Saab is turbo petrol or turbo diesel.

A Saab turbo of that vintage should be looking at 3k oil, 6 oil and filter, or 6k oil and filter if it has been on synthetic from day one anyway. I love old saabs, but I know the boxes can be so flimsy if you push them with more than the factory intended.

Reply to
Elder