EU set to hand UK motorists "Get off speed scamera for free card"?

In message , Peter Hill writes

Yep, I'm aware of that case. S172 *is* illegal under Article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights, according to a lecturer in European law I know in Luxembourg. Rulings have already been made against countries using similar means to force self-incrimination. It's only a matter of time before the entire speed camera system falls on its arse.

It's nice that Tony's decision to push the Human Rights Act to drum up some business for his missus is coming back to bite him in the arse.

Reply to
Roadhog

I thought the Gatso scam also contravened the Police & Criminal evidence act in that the form isn't properly witnessed and is therefore inadmissable in a court.

Reply to
Brainiac

Not really. S172 and current policy don't remove the right to silence. You can still go to Court if you like. But don't expect the Court to be impressed unless you really have got a leg to stand on.

Reply to
Mark W

In message , Mark W writes

We'll see.

*taps nose*
Reply to
Roadhog

I bet the defendant is a member of UKIP or some such Euro Sceptic, but will take advantage of any European laws that fall in his favour...

Reply to
fishman

And if he was, what would that prove? If someone handed you a bucket of shit, which you didn't want, wouldn't you at least want to put it to good use?

Reply to
Andrew Thomas

"Andrew Thomas" wrote

Good analogy! I'd probably set up a fan by the rosebed and see what happens when the shit literally hits the fan, whilst fertilising my lovely roses.

Reply to
fishman

Like throwing it at Robert Kilroy-Silk, perhaps?

Reply to
Vincent Vega

LMAO classic, i saw the pics in the paper very funny!

Reply to
Vamp

You are correct that the defendant (Idris Franicis) is a UKIP supporter, but why must a supporter of the European Convention on Human Rights be pro EU? Read the history and you will find out that they are not linked:

Gareth

-- Gareth '85 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z (305 V8) '92 B&W Chevy Caprice 9C1 (350 V8)

Reply to
Gareth A.

In message , Gareth A. writes

Yep, Idris Francis is a UKIP supporter. There are seven other people bringing similar cases at the same time, though, and I've no idea whether they are linked to any particular political organisation.

As you say, the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU.

Reply to
Roadhog

The article says: "The European Court of Human Rights has accepted eight motorists' applications claiming that S172 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act breaches the right to silence implicit in Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights."

Do we know the case number, or has anyone managed to find any mention of this on the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) website

? BTW the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU.

-- Matt B

Reply to
Matt B