Am I certifiable? (Paging the SOC-isti....)

[search_autotrader_co_uk] For those who can't be arsed to click the link, it's a Carlton 24v Estate. Not super cheap, but equally, looks like quite a good one. Not FSH, but equally looks pretty well maintained - lack of a FSH on something like that isn't a huge issue if you know the cars and can tell it's a goodun. I'd want a good few hundred quid off that price though, especially with the short MOT (or a new MOT putting on it), just in case there's anything awkward that might want doing.

I'll throw it open to the floor.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

If fuel wasn't stupidly expensive that would be my choice too. A usefully huge estate with oodles of grunt and decent handling? No question.

Reply to
PCPaul

Fuel's not a major issue as it's not something I'm going to be doing loads of miles in. As long as it gets 25-30mpg I'm happy enough - currently using a Xantia Activa (averaging 26-29mpg, right foot dependent) for work and back (40 mile round trip) plus general running about, so if it does similar to that (which it should do) then it'll do me. Thing is, I've done the Carlton thing before, and I'm really quite keen to get the Golf sorted and back on the road.......

Reply to
AstraVanMann

No it's not...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I've just tried re-snipping that a few times (having truncated it each time, slightly differently, as it wasn't working), only to realise that it must have sold.

Ah well, that's another decision I don't need to worry about making....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Autotrader has (or had) an XJR for sale for £3500. It looked like a decent one as well. It's the slower, but IMO much better 4.0 AJ16 supercharged straight-six engine in the previous (steel) body. But it looks like a decent car from the ad.

If only erindoors didn't have me under the thumb at the moment.

Mind you, I wouldn't be going for that, I'd be going for the 6.0 V12 in the same body that's for sale at a slightly higher £6000.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I got 20-22 mpg from my saloon. I can't really see the estate doing better...

Reply to
PCPaul

True - you had a GSI 24v then? Though it must be noted that my daily commute is either 40-50mph back roads all the way with virtually no traffic lights, or main 60mph A-roads/motorway, so it's a relatively economical run.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Well in a complicated way I had a 12V and a 24V, but the 12V was on it's last legs and ended up in a field for a while, then went off to be broken for spares...

Taking it away was a condition for me getting the much nicer 24V for free!

My 24V did once manage 28mpg on the trip computer, after a 250 mile run on motorways. But it also managed 18mpg over a tankful in more interesting times.

Reply to
PCPaul

I used to get between 20 and 30 from my GSi 24v auto on average.

Reply to
Pete M

Mine was (a) old and (b) largely used on country lanes and B-roads.

I did see a 30mpg average once or twice on very long motorway runs, but...

Reply to
PCPaul