And the dog's name was Ken, Chris Stevens, Gaspode et al

How's that going then, on schedule ? :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Well this is great! Keep the modification stories coming guys.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Good job there's non of that on mine then.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

It isn't that modern. Nearest it gets to an ECU is a relay block on the=20 bulkhead.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

LOL.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Sounds nasty. Is it still locost or perhaps not-so-locost now?

I watched wheeler dealers earlier. Mike Brewer is almost as irritating as James Allen but Edd China makes up for it, he's obviously knowledgeable and seems to give clear explanations and common sense solutions. This particular episode was about restoring a Lexus LS400 (not exactly a classic), they did a reasonably good job but went a bit OTT with the modifications IMO. Adding the handsfree kit wasn't really necessary, but the HID kit and new wheels did seem a good idea. Shame that we know the valuations and sales are a sham though, as Steve's ebay links from a few weeks ago demonstrated. Mostly I admire the spirit in which the programme is made, i.e. keep cars on the road with the correct maintenance and restoration rather than continually replacing them when they don't really need it. Most new car sales are due to marketing and the availability of easy credit rather than genuine necessity, IMO.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Scedule is April next year for the new season :-) I don't actually have all the bits yet, but I fully intend doing it in a working week once I do have everything. Wiring scares me most, but the bloke I got the engine from has fitted a near identical one and his is in and running - and he lives 200 yards from where my car is for the engine transplant. I'm short of a propshaft - but that can't be made until the engine is in.

I would envisage the following....

Day one - Xflow out,clean up of engine bay, mounts started. Day two - finish mounts, modify exhaust, mount clutch master cylinder, modify clutch cable to actuate above. Measurements taken for propshaft. Day three - cooling system, oil cooler, fuel system start wiring... Day four - continue wiring and finish. (CalvinX's diagram should prove invaluable), Day five - fit propshaft, start engine.

Note. My Sylva is taller in the bodywork than a Locost and the lowest point of the engine will be the well of the sump.My exhaust runs slightly higher than this. So - it will be done in the style of the Pat Jackson F27 - under the engine, out the other side, turn right and onto the silencer. I see no problem with this idea. Saves a custom manifold at 400 quid.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yep. The ghetto spec of the Nova is currently being improved. Nothing OTT, just some GTE seats, door cards, centre console, SR front bumper (mainly to cover up the rusty valance!), oh and some furry dice!! Make's it a bit more comfortable, and should look a bit tidier. You can polish a turd! :)

The red BX is standard still, apart from a Sebring backbox, but I'm still doing a fair bit of work to keep it running and getting everything working and looking good. Even gave it a quick wash and polish t'other day
The black BX is now though it's MoT and is waiting to go into the bodyshop for some minor cosmetic work after some numpty drove into it.
Put an induction kit filter thing on the Volvo at the weekend. I know it's 'spamming' it up, but I didn't like the standard setup, as it draws air from next to the exhuast manifold and then carries it along the top of the radiator to the AFM. Now it picks up cooler air from the intake side of the engine, and best of all it was done using bits I had hanging around in the garage, so was FOC. Bought a Kenlow fan controller a couple of weeks ago, so just gotta find a fan that will fit and I'll be removing the viscous one that's currently on there. I'm going to pick up a spare block soon to rob the sump, oil pump and a few other bits from which will be transferred onto the 2.3 litre engine I have in the garage, so it can be fitted sometime next year. Gonna do a quick overhaul first though - head gasket, stem seals, cam and crank seals, cambelt etc to make sure everything is up to the job. Not sure what i'm gonna do with the EFI system yet though. Also gotta fit the sensors for the new gauges I've put in - gauge count now at 9 :) And I've still got the put all the new suspension on it which I haven't got round to doing yet (uprated dampers, uprated but standard height springs and polybushes).

Carl Gibbs

You aren't Ken. Ken uses a Google groups account and a Yahoo email address and Ken doesn't use socks. Go on Who are you?

Reply to
Elder

In news:4548deb6@212.67.96.135, Ken wittered on forthwith;

No it doesn't.

You can "modify" a car with a mallet.

Reply to
Pete M

That Volvo looks pretty nice :-) Had a manky 360GLS myself for a bit. Wouldn't mind one like yours but they seem to be rare as rocking horse shit now :-(

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

All very nice, especially the Nova. Looks very tidy inside for what it is. Bangernomics is alive and well. Some good bargains out there this time of year.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Not sure I'd go as far as tidy, but we're getting there :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Plenty of 340s about, and the odd 360 does pop up. I'm looking forward to some winter fun in it :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Ken" wrote in news:4548dfab@212.67.96.135:

Why do all your replies to Conor end up in his sig? Are you thick? Irritates the hell out of me. You probably are not even aware the font colour changes on a decent newreader, making your replies even more invisible. Mind you, you are so unaware that you are due a spanking, so your usenet "skills" are the least of your problems. £38k? Pahhhh !!!!

Reply to
Tunku

Would this be because lowering it for what you want to use it would be a really bad idea?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

You want a 240 for real winter fun...:-)

Reply to
Tunku

Depending on what engine you have it may be neccessary to baffle the sump, or modify oil pick up.

Interesting to hear if the bike engine is chain drive how you plan to convert to shaft drive, also worth remembering the propshaft must be dynamically balanced, and that final drive ratio must be worked out very carefully.

Ken

Yep. Lowered car + untarmaced road = big bangs and scrapes!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nah, I like the 360, it's well balanced! :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs