another car idea's post

thinking of changing my car early into next year. trouble is i've no idea what to get. RWD not really essential no more as i've had my RWD fun. basically gotta be 4 seats, 0-60mph of 7 or less and be no more than £6,000.

options so far are

import silvia (200SX to none import fans), either S15 (might have to stretch to 7-8k for that though) or a nice S14 (import for the lower millege and cos we never got the rather nice S15!)

300ZX (which i could get with half the cash) but rumours of popping turbo's scares me! although i get an the same discount at nissan as i do our other dealerships on servicing. Civic Type R EK9 shape (nice, light, revvy and import cos again we just got a dull 160bhp VTi in that shape!) not bad cars seem reliable. Volvo C70 although not totally sure really that i could live with one, early ones look jacked up too!

or do i up the budget and get a mini cooper s?

any more ideas people? want to keep it jap really i think, also Vauxhall, Mitsubishi and Nissan i can get serviced cheap so considered also, i can also get peugeot and renault done cheap but i don't do french! not new french stuff anyway!

really i'd like something as quick as my 328 but more reliable than the poor BM has been, as much as i do love it...

Reply to
Vamp

If it wasn't feeling so sensible I'd probably sell the T5, abuse my credit card and buy this monster. Then £2500 left to buy a 4 seater for when you need the extra space :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

VERY nice! but no i'm used to the 4 seats again now really, although that is a bit of a sleeper! no expects something that old to be quick :)

Reply to
Vamp

Before you go changing it.....

Is the car still worth less than the finance outstanding on it?

Reply to
SteveH

I do like the S15 a lot. The S14 are a bit common for my tastes.

They're a bit bargey for my taste.

I know a guy with one of these, I don't beleive the Honda claimed 160bhp. His friend with a 106 GTi owns him over a standing 1/4 at Elvington often.

Too old man.

They handle well, best gearbox I've ever used. Not very fast in stock spec though.

Could get a Cat D repaired V6 for £8k or so :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Is there something you're not telling us?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hah no not yet :-) Mine is still 100% intact.

Reply to
Iridium

Add to the list R33 GTS-t Skyline R32 GTR Skyline Early WRX Turbo RX-7

All good fun.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

And more importantly, have you paid at least half of what you were due to.

If the car is 'upside down' - trade speak for being worth less than is owing on it and if you have paid at least half of what you were due to then you can do a voluntary termination and hand it back with no mark on your credit history.

The motor trade finance people hate people doing this, but if your car is on finance then it's more than likely one of the conditions you signed up to in the first place.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'm not convinced this is both accurate and sound advice.

There may well be terms which allow you to do this, but I'm sure it'll put a rather nasty stain on your credit record.

Reply to
SteveH

Go check the citizens advice website. It is part of the agreement, and as such you are not breaking the agreement. Since I did it around 7 years ago (with the Marea 2.0) I have had no problem with mortgages, phones, services or any new agreements.

Here's a lovely long URL relating to it.

It is true that some lenders will do their utmost to frustrate the whole process, but thatis because as Corporal Jones might have said, they don't like it up 'em.

P.S. It was actually a car dealer who advised me of this right initially but it was very much on the basis that I promised not to mention where I had got the information from.

Having said all of that, Vamp should definitely make his own mind up and ignore all of the above.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yes, I've read it all, but they can and will place a note on our credit record saying that you opted for voluntary termination.

It's impossible to predict how that would affect someone after that - if you own your house and are making mortgage payments, then it'll have less of an effect than on someone who's living with their parents with no assets.

Reply to
SteveH

remove the above because insurance on above is over £3k for me! yes even the WRX!

Reply to
Vamp

Rear seats on these are a joke and the two Skylines aren't that much better. Well, at least the rear seat in a Skyline isn't a torture device like it is in an RX-7.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

They are fairly complicated cars and cheap to buy (but not to run) which IME makes for a disastrous combination if you buy 'downstream'...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

It was the second he signed up for the finance, wasn't it?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hmm. I suspect you'll miss rear wheel drive...

You said you wanted four seats, right? Did you mean four usable seats? :)

Personally, I enjoy the mark four Astra turbos...

How about a 9-5... sorry, no, Signum 2.8 turbo?

Reply to
DervMan

yeah few people have got them at work, well 2 anyway there ok, trouble is rarely see a good one at our place.

signum na bit of an odd ball car that one!

Reply to
Vamp

So worth looking out for?

*cough* Saab 9-5 in drag. :)
Reply to
DervMan

Incorrect.

It's the current 9-3 / Vectra / Fiat Croma platform.

The 2009 9-5 will be based on the same platform, which will be shared with the 2008 Vectra and the 2010 9-3.

The current 9-5 is based on the old Vectra platform.

Reply to
SteveH