Back Home

Just to let you know I was released around lunch time today and have been home since early afternoon. This feels really odd - it's going to take some time to adjust to being back here, as the last time I saw the place I was at death's door. I'd like to thank everyone for their messages of support / piss taking both here and on FB - it kept my spirits up through the most difficult week of my life.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, so the hospital didn't tell you that it's the first week at home that's the most difficult week of your life?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Douglas's guide to getting better after being quite ill:

1) Ham it up for a bit but don't concentrate on being a victim.

1a) Enrich your new life by thinking and acting in a way that enriches the lives of people you care about.

2) Get a convertible, bask in the grin that blasting along in it brings.

3) Regularly go on meandering drives to nowhere in particular, to the top of something if possible. Stand about for a bit at the top and have the wind tousel whats left of your hair. Grin.

4) Hit the rev limiter at least once a day. Grin.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Something I learned from three months of enforced idleness - it's shit while you can't do stuff, but you forget about that when you're better. Or at least I do.

You've never struck me as one to be unnecessarily miserable, so it'll be fine. Hope your body agrees with me :-)

Reply to
Clive George

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:53:54 +0000, Clive George boggled us with:

I found it exactly the same after my (motor)bike crash and subsequent ops on my knee and leg.

Stubborn yes, and I've never seen him give up an argument, so I expect him to win this fight.

I no longer smoke. I've always had a reasonably healthy diet. Steve's issues have had me back out on the bike this week determined to keep fit.

Reply to
Mike P

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:36:51 +0000, Douglas Payne boggled us with:

Yep, do that, also do what the doc tells you! I know plenty who didn't (they're still alive!) but in later years wish they had have taken heed..

Good call.

Hmm. It'd have to be Italian, and not too exciting for blood pressur reasons. This would be ideal.

I'd add "scream at the top of your voice" from the top of wherever you go. My missus loves doing this. She reckons it gets all the stress out.

Only once?

Reply to
Mike P

I've been much better today - it was all so much to take in yesterday.

8 hours from dialling 999 to coming out of theatre. That's a long time to be on the edge, so to speak.

I'm planning to be a much better husband and much less tight with money

- you can't take it with you, and I nearly became quite a rich corpse.

It's on my list - but it's just not practical. I vow to get the 75 up to daily driver standard and use it a lot more this year.

Oooh, I love that.

Sounds like a plan.

Can't do this in 2 of the cars....

Reply to
SteveH

Never giving up is not the same as winning... :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I wasn't suggesting not doing what a trained medical professional tells you.

More an encouragement to enjoy the sympathy and attention, but get back to being Steve H rather than 'Steve H, who had a heart attack' soon.

Bleh. Or he could buy a car instead. (c:

It's safer than the 'crack 100mph every day without using motorways or dual carrigeways' game.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think you missed the end of that XR2 auction.

Reply to
fishman

Mine's a Porsche. They cost three times as much here in Oz. If you want a two-seat sportscar you buy a V8 ute.

BTW in my bizarrely sideways career step to becoming a motoring journalist I recently reviewed the new Alfa Giulietta, devastating cross-country weapon it is.

Reply to
fishman

Mine's a Porsche. They cost three times as much here in Oz. If you want a two-seat sportscar you buy a V8 ute.

BTW in my bizarrely sideways career step to becoming a motoring journalist I recently reviewed the new Alfa Giulietta, devastating cross-country weapon it is.

All we want to know about is the tactile properties of the dashboard.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Or possibly he bought it, and then realised what he'd done...

Get well soon, SteveH.

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is a token strip of squidgy stuff, some metal-looking finish that is plastic but feels like charcoal and the rest is your usual naff cheap plastic which I am sure is getting worse and worse in modern cars.

Reply to
fishman

There is a token strip of squidgy stuff, some metal-looking finish that is plastic but feels like charcoal and the rest is your usual naff cheap plastic which I am sure is getting worse and worse in modern cars.

What publication are you writing for?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston