Someone tell me this is a bad idea....

Tidy looking MkII XR2 for a grand locally.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/150552816775
Always wanted one - and I think even K would appreciate it, as her first
car was a Fester Fesitval in Diamond White.
--
SteveH

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:23:24 +0000, SteveH boggled us with:

It's a bad idea.
It's an old Ford with a strangulated 1.6 CVH, the worst engine they ever made bar the V4. Saying that, I don't know a great deal about them other than test driving a couple before I decided a MK2 Golf GTi was a far, far better bet for the money. I expect the same still applies.
--
Mike P

I clicked the link.
It turned to sold in front of my very eyes.
On 30/01/2011 18:41, Mike P wrote:

I quite liked that CVH engine - I drove an Escort with the 1.6, and found it a hoot, very smooth free reving, if a bit gutless. And I felt it worked well in the XR2, quite quick as I remember. All relative to the other cars I was driving at that time - Renault 18, Metros, Cortinas etc, whatever was in the company pool at that time (early 80s).
Rob
On 31/01/2011 19:58, Rob wrote:

I didn't buy it.....
The engine is what put me off, to be honest - I had a 1.6 CVH in an Escort, with twin-choke carb.
One thing it was not is smooth or free revving.
Still love the looks of the MkII XR2, though.
--
Steve H

On 31/01/2011 20:05, Steve H wrote:

The photos did a good job. Amazing how much glass cars used to have too.
Anyway ISTR you had a deep seated hatred of the blue oval from discussions on here in the past - has the Prius recalibrated your brain? :-)
On 31/01/2011 20:20, Clive George wrote:

Nah, always had a bit of a soft spot for their stuff from the 80s.
But it all went wrong from the MkIII Fester onwards.
--
Steve H

On 31/01/11 20:05, Steve H wrote:

My old man had an Escort with that CVH and a slushbox. It was fairly dreadful. Noisy, harsh, crappy 3 speed slushox.

pretty gruff sounding motor, but it still did 60 in less than 9 seconds, 96bhp in an 800kg XR2 (or less with rust...) Quite chukable too.
On 07/02/11 18:33, chris wrote:

Performance wasn't at all bad, for the time, even with the aforementioned slushbox escort, but it did wound very rough. Escort didn't handle, either.

It's a bad idea. It's a shite old Ford.
Fraser

Site Timeline