bit quiet?

been a bit quiet in here recently? hope it's coz you all getting far to drunk!

i aint had a bad xmas so far, managed to avoid family members i don't like that much, get pissed and watch and listen to dvd's and cd's i got given for xmas as well as the odd x box game (rainbow six 3 rules if you wondered)

still i have a new number plate to replace the shit bent one i have on my car eventually so that'll be fun as i drill the holes and really f*ck it up :)

shit i just realised that there wasn't really a point to this post?

Reply to
Vamp

It gave me something to read so i'm happy about it :)

I have been playing with my new digi-cam and its features (the ability to make video's with sound is nice)...made a video in my mates Nova, added credits and a tune to back it :) Anyone who has me on MSN no doubt has seen it by now :) Very proud :)

Reply to
Dan405

If the old one was a good fit, use it as a template for the holes. Or use double sided pads to stick it on.

It's amazing how many new cars you see with badly fitted plates. If you're anorak enough to notice these things. ;-)

You'd have thought a dealer selling hundreds of identical cars would have had a jig to get the holes exactly right rather than leaving it to the work experience kid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Sooner have the work experience kid drill holes too big, then overtighten woodscrews to hold the number plate on .... than go and do a minor repair to a new car, f&ck it up, then have the "proper" technicians say "oh, well this part caused the fault in the other bit that kevin replaced, we thought we'd try this first, but obviously the other bit ought to be changed next". Happens every day, every dealership.

When are the trading standards tightening up on garages???

-- (Scum Mail Bouncer In use). (Remove "n" from email address to reply directly).

Regards..... Steve.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Doesn't seem to be limited to run of the mill cars either, followed a merc the other day with a slightly pissed plate. That would really hack me off, or am I an anorak too?

Happened with my 5 Series. Being a keen DIYer, I realise that it isn't easy to get the holes in the right position - given that the screws fit into plastic bushes rather than the old idea of having them just go straight into the body, hence the need for a template or jig of some sort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Never drill holes to put on number plates, use carpet tape

Reply to
Ron

Undrilled plates are much more likely to be nicked for a 'fill up and do a runner'. I've had two sets nicked off the old SD1 - presumably for just this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Last time i did that (on my old old 309 SRi) i lost the plate in the middle of a muddy field in hampshire! My last one on the XS was cable-tied on - much more secure!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The first time I took my rear plate off I was pleasantly surprised that VW had put in some decent mounts for it, but dismayed to find the 2nd had dealer who I got the car from had just drilled into the body work as they had pre drilled the number plate.Thankfully no sign on rust round the holes so put plenty of grease into them.

Reply to
Depresion

my dad's old company passat had a wonky plate, everyone noticed too hehe

Reply to
Vamp

since the new laws introduced regarding making number plates there has been imo a marked increase in number plate theft, therefore I reccomend velcro, and remove the plates at night....

Reply to
Theo

Wonky number plates, even alittle *really* get on my wick. so much so I would quite happily spend £10 for a new one and take great pride with set square, laser level, theodolyte etc etc etc to get the holes in exactly the right place.

I must be a very sad anorak....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

yep :)

Reply to
Vamp