LRO UNLUCY ?

I decided a few weeks ago to go to the show at Peterborough so I thought better give the vehicle a once over as you do and found a suspect front wheel bearing so went out and bought a new pair of bearings then fitted them all the rest were ok (or so I thought )anyway arranged to meet at 1.00 Friday afternoon after waiting for someone we finally set of at about 2.30 got to the motorway junc 6 m61 and my mates car started to overheat so he turned back so two of set off glynn in is 200 tdi 90 and me in my 200 tdi disco . got as far as Pontefract and my front wheel locked just for a second shit me up pulled over and realised the other front wheel bearing had gone so after waiting for a long time a mate come with is wagon and took me home I had already phoned landranger for a couple more bearings so I fitted another set and finally set off again at 10.30 at night everything seemed ok was making good time then when we was approximately 36 miles from the show both back wheelbearings went now I was really pissed of so we carried on at about 10.mph eventually got there at 3.30 in the morning now that's what I call UNLUCKY

Reply to
sam

Remind me never to join your convoy ;-)

Is there any reason they are all going???? Have they got lubrication...very unlucky for 3 to go on 1 journey...how did you get back fix it on site or joined the fleet on the AA/RAC wagons.....still at least you know you can roll to the next shows ok :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Similar story here, not with my Land Rover but my VW Passat 1.9 Tdi. At around 117,000 miles, one rear wheel bearing started to rumble, so I replaced it. A few hundred miles later the other one did the same. I replaced that too. This second bearing only lasted a few more hundred before it started to rumble so I took it out and got a replacement free of charge. No further problems - the car's done 137,000 now. So my conclusion was that both rear wheel bearings had lasted their design lifespan. The new one that only lasted a few hundred miles was a dud. You could have the same phenomenomenomenon! Now a real Land Rover question! How tight should rear wheel bearings on a

90 be? A mechanic advised me to do the inner nut right up and then turn it back just a touch.

cheers, Rick

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

(snip)

This one has been done numerous times. If you don't have a dial gauge, there should be just perceptible slack, after tightening the lock nut. Tighten it up till it drags and spin the wheel, to make sure the bearing is properly seated, then slacken off. If you can't feel slight movement with the wheel on, wobbling by the outside of the tyre, its too tight. Probably better slightly too loose than too tight, but after the first run check again for excess movement or for warmth indicating too tight. JD

Reply to
JD