Bloody septics

Why on earth do they call an exhaust manifold a header?

Reply to
Doki

cus they f00kin st00pid

Reply to
Theo

Same reason they call brake disks rotors ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I disagree. an exhaust header is nothing like a rotor.

:)

Reply to
Theo

So says the chap who finds the keyboard so confusing.

Reply to
DervMan

More to the point, why do y'all Brits call a header the manifold?

Reply to
DervMan

Because it is at the head of the exhaust system, I mean, why else would they call the other end the tail pipe?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Do they call the silencers abdomens and the cat the neck?

Reply to
Depresion

Nearly. The silencer is the muffler and that goes round the neck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Like, y'all gott know that,y'know, the motor is under the hood, and you put your cases in the trunk, and when you park use the emergency brake.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Good point. Why refer to the head end of the exhaust system using a synonym for "abundant"?

It's well known that the US uses much-simplified terms for almost everything. The only one I can think of which makes no sense is "rocker panel" for sill. Of course, as an earlier poster reall intelligently pointed out earlier, it could just be because they're f00kin st00pid.

Reply to
Andrew Thomas

It's when you drive half over a cliff - Italian Job style...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It can mean plural or several, but it can also mean the joint of a number of similar things, which fits, or a mathematically continuous surface, which also sort of fits. Header also has common useage as a device to provide a static pressure to a system, as in 'header tank', which could be confusing.

I don't think 'rotor' is a more useful term than 'brake disc', nor is it shorter than the common 'disc', nor is 'hood' is better than 'bonnet' or 'tachometer' easier to understand than 'rev counter'. I do agree that 'booster' is more sensible than 'servo' and 'oil pan' more descriptive than 'sump'. Compared to understanding how cars work, learning the names of the parts is trivial, so I can only assume it's all part of the great american inferiority complex :-p

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Maybe, maybe not.

Having taken the father-in-law's Porsche :) to the shop (garage) to be fixed, there's a bit of a language barrier, and much mirth from both parties! #;-)

Reply to
DervMan

A good recent one is 'EXFILTRATE'

Reply to