Car PC...

I'm thinking this is the way i wanna go now.

I've found a DIN sized flip out 7" touchscreen that i want to use, the rest i haven't come across. Any links to where i can buy a ready made system? I'm not one for building my own pc's so damned if i'm gonna attempt building a car one, i may be able to plug in USB devices tho :D

Reply to
Chet

The screen

Chet

you want to be asking neo and huw and sic puppy on retro...they the boys....

i saw somewhere someone built a pc in a windows xp software box...so u can build small.....

u cud just stick a lapop hidden somewhere and run it to the screen....

Reply to
JonnyBoy

Chet I still got some shit hanging about from my old carpc, touch screen out of the box mounted on a audi bezel, I got gps reciever, invertor, you name it

Reply to
Ronny

Chet this full kit was advertised on this very group a few days ago:

fishman

I currently have a car PC in the planning.

Here are some of my thoughts so far!

Mini ATX motherboards fix exactly inside a DIN slot, but you'll probably need a double din to get the heatsink in, unless you rig a water cooler onto your car radiator! Im thinking of stripping the standard radio out, but leaving the front in tact. I can then replace the cd player with a push-in pc cd/dvd reader, and using the existing buttons as the buttons for the pc etc. This way my stereo still looks standard to theifs!

That screen is bloody expensive btw. You can buy 15" TFTs for £90! Touchscreens are'nt a great deal more. You might as well do it properly. Ive seen ceiling mounted 8" flip down ones for £200 cant remember where now :s

Some USB ideas: Bluetooth - park your car outside your house and wirelessly transfer all your data! WiFi - drive past hotspots and hax the unfirewalled folke Webcams - mount them in your bumpers front and rear and watch the video live on your screen! also - wireless keyboards. wires are gay

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bullock

Or, drive like a c*ck, or round a track, and stream it using 3G so we can all watch :)

Reply to
DanTXD

At a blistering 500kb/s? It's pretty dull waiting for MP3s and Videos to transfer at that speed. I'd reccomend going WiFi for data transfer. Bluetooth's fine for mobile handsfree though.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Building isn't an option, you know me - i'm happy to pay 50% more if i can take it out of the box and plug it in

Reply to
Chet

I won't need a screen, the thing that was putting me off a pc in the car was the big ugly screen. IIRC your PC was a big desktop box too :)

Reply to
Chet

Have mailed him. I'd forgotten about that tbh

Reply to
Chet

If you are going to spend that much just on the screen why not just get an in dash DVD/MP3/Sat nav system then? Ok it's going to cost more than an in car PC but car audio direct sell the AVIC for £1,179.00 that plays MP3s, DVDs, dose sat nav and has a built in G-meter.

Reply to
Depresion

  1. ECU Data Logging
  2. ECU Reprogramming
  3. Internet via WiFi
  4. Webcam
  5. All the other things a PC does that a stereo doesn't :)
Reply to
Chet

And yes that screen is expensive but i'm not having a clip on one in my car

Reply to
Chet

waste of money, what next mate? under car neons and gay glittery paint? (scrub that last one actually, think you been there) what happened to shitty R19's william blocks and turbo's? :)

Reply to
Vamp

Williams turbo is well under way, just need to get a car to put all me bits on :)

Reply to
Chet

Woah there ! 90-100 degree coolant will toast your CPU in a very short space of time - the magic smoke tends to escape around the 80c mark...

If I were doing it, I wouldn't use a touchscreen. I'd get either a trackball, and mount it under a panel with the ball sticking through a hole (so all you could see was the ball) or I'd use a touchpad like

again mounted so it just looked like part of the car.

Reply to
Nom

For my purposes touchscreen seems to make much more sense

Reply to
Chet

want one of these you do. Cheaper too.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

fuego

Reply to
Theo