CCC is back, sort of

Just picked up a copy of "Track and Race Cars", looks very similar to the old CCC, same fonts and colour scheme etc. All about track cars as you'd expect but it covers different price ranges and ages of cars. There's a challenge open to anyone that thinks they have a car that can beat their pace setting car round Bruntingthorpe proving grounds, unfortunately the pace setting car was a Radical SR3 Turbo so it will need to be something special. Picture of a Green Rouse Sport spaceframed Jaguar on the front for anyone looking for it.

Homer.

Reply to
Homer

Doesnt our very own resident Turbo nutter bastid AKA Matt run his Saab round brunters? Maybe a challenge for him? ;)

Reply to
Alex Jackson

Regarding the challenge... I spent LOTS of time testing bikes for Performance Bikes at bruntingthorpe. Its not a track as such. Its a massively wide 2 miles plus long ex runway, (Where we speed tested everything and did standing quarters etc) with an almost as wide return road which is all quarter mile plus straights with constant radius "joints" as bends. The bends have grass growing through the sections! Scary on a bike...

While I was there (on my own 1100WP Suzuki = 176mph through speed trap) I was playing (bored) instead of working.

You dont need something that can corner, but something hugely fast! On most racetracks a 600 is faster than an 1100 due to superior handling. Not so at bruntingthorp where my 1100 is easily faster. All HUGE straights!

The only thing that beats a big bike round there was a guy called peter taylor in a McLaren F1... And he was coming through our radar speed trap at

225mph... Looks veeery coool And you just hear the thundering noise of the air and see a silver flash. Then as it passes brake lights and swirls of dust as he tries to slow and miss the resovoire at the end...

From low speed as we both entered the long straight runway after a tight entry road, my bike destroyed the F1 up to say 120mph (few secs) and then as I watched the car in my mirrors getting smaller, it started to gain on me... About 140 and it was really catching me up! By 155 it was level but going faster than me, and by 165 it was way in front! Then I had to watch it pulling away and getting smaller!

I had nitrous on that bike next time! I felt inferior. On a big bike that just does not happen! You normally feen totally invincible...

Reply to
Burgerman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Don't suppose it lists a certain Will Holman, or Kev Leaper on the Editorial team? Does it?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

A modern litre bike is probably no heavier than it's 600cc equivalent. Having ridden a GSXR1000, I can say that the above is no longer true. Although I appreciate that you're comparing a GSXR1100 with 600s of a few years back.

Reply to
SteveH

Still true to a degree at cadwell, where I go regularly, because the extra go out of corners is a liability for most... But in any case an old GSXR or ZZR is still faster at the drag strip, due to better midrange, longer chassis etc?? But I know what you mean... Modern equivelent at brunters now would be a GSXR1000 maybe against a Suzuki Busa... The busa would win there because you spend the whole time doing demented speeds in 5th or top! But art cadwell you would wobble off at the twisty bendy bits...

Reply to
Burgerman

Nope, don't see their names listed.

Reply to
Homer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Damn, they left Practical Classics as of this months issue.

They both liked their modified classics, and as RPM got canned by Emap because it might upset some of the Practical Classics readers, they both seemed to have jumped ship.

Taking a tweaked and rally prepped Shuvitt, and a V8 Capri with them.

I can't see them getting very seperated, and just wondered where they had gotten to.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

bruntingthorpe.

Brunters has been refined a bit now, they've shortened the runway, sorry straight by 150yds or so and added a few, somewhat better corners, yes! Proper tarmac corners at brunters now ;-) I top out at just over 160mph though so I don't think I'd have much chance against a Rad TBO though. I love Bruntingthorpe though, partly becuase its cheap, partly because theres loads of Run off but mainly becuase its quite at the weekends and the boyo's don't know about it/are kept of it.

Matt

unfortunately

Reply to
**-**

unfortunately

I do indeed but alas nothing in my garage/drive/garden or share of a barn would do a Raders around bruntingthorpe, even if its only geared for 130mph and spends most of its time bouncing off the limiter it would still have me on the (7) twisty bits.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

mmmmmmmmmmmm on both counts!