Cooler spark plugs - how do you know if you need them?

I am running a rover coupe turbo with a few mods:

boost at 13psi, fse boost valve

a friend suggested I should use cooler sparkplugs than standard, but he doesn't know why, just that someone else is running them on a modded turbo car.

I am having a few jerking problems when accelerating, so I am going to replace the plugs, ht leads, distributor cap and rotor arm anyway, the plugs have done about 12k, so should I get cooler plugs?

is there any good reason for running them?

how do you know if you should?

Reply to
Peter

i think it makes f*ck all difference till you're running silly power. standard but newer plugs would probably give the car a better feel. cooler plugs seems only worth it with other mods and you're running the car close to it's limits with intercoolers and bigger turbos, forged pistons and mapped to higher ron fuel. that kinda modding i think benifits from cooler plugs.

Reply to
Vamp

Was this the same friend that told you to use an FSE boost valve by any chance ?

Yea, get some with nice stripes, or a little LED on the end !

Reply to
Lordy.UK

you can get ones with LED's! cool!

:)

Reply to
Vamp

Oi, naughty corner - now.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

i'm sorry :( back to UKRCM re-hab to get de-cav-chav'd *repeats to self* neons aint cool, neons aint cool

Reply to
Vamp

I'm with vamp LEDs flashing intime with cool where can I get some for my TDi? ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Is your car pinking? ;)

Melted pistons is a good indicator.

Reply to
Depresion

seized engine is a good sign too but maybe a bit to late you think? :)

Reply to
Vamp

You can tell if you need cooler plugs by looking at the earth electrode. You need it so it gets hot enough that it doesnt soot up but not so hot that it looks like its been in a furnace (rainbow colours lol )..

Ed

Reply to
Ed