Rover 214 - Poor Spark

After my Rover 214SEi (1995 N-reg) had been stood for a week, engine wouldn't start. It turned over, but wouldn't fire.

Called breakdown co. who did various tests - ie removed a HT lead, used spare spark plug, I turned engine over and he said there was a "poor spark"

After further checks, he diagnosed the rotor arm as being faulty and advised it be swapped along with the dizzy cap.

Had car recovered to garage Saturday morning. Got call from garage Sunday afternoon - they said car fired up OK and could not find any problem! They said it sounded a bit rough for a few seconds (would have expected that with it being stood) but is running spot on.

I am thinking of swapping rotor arm, dizzy cap and HT leads anyway just to be sure. Any other suggestions what the problem might have been here? Should I also get a new coil?

Cheers Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

Rotor arm failure is *very* common on the K series, they break down and track down the spindle to earth. There is a modded (off the top of my head orange in colour) rotor arm to replace the factory black one.

I always replace the cap with the arm both from the same manurfacturer.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dgk9gr$1k9$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-> Rotor arm failure is

*very* common on the K series, they break down and

Cheers for that. I find it strange that the rotor arm fails becuase there's no moving parts, but I suppose they get "burnt out".

Where can I get one of these 'modded' orange ones? What should I be asking for?

Not being a mechanic, I presume it's just a case of removing the old one, and sliding the new one on top of the cam?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

I nearly put 'from your local dealer....'! A good parts shop selling brand name parts should be ok...

yes but usually they seize onto the shaft and you'll need to smash it off.

tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

you need to remove the retaining bolt that holds the rotor onto the cam, ive seen customers try and pry them off with a screw driver & break thme off as the bolt was facing the other way and they didnt notice it, its an allen bolt head btw.

Reply to
reg

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dgklg4$5ai$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I saw the breakdown man just take it off so hopefully no need to "smash it off"!

Any ideas re the poor spark?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul