cresta advice needed

can any one give me advice on how to remove the studs that are used to bolt the wheels on to the car? some one on one of the forums suggest useing a lump hammer, but i do not like the sound of that.

also where might i get replacement studs and nuts?

Reply to
nothometoday

Main dealer.

And just hit them and they will fall out of the back.

Reply to
Burgerman

For a car produced between 1954 and 1972?

Reply to
SteveH

its a PC model made in 1971

Reply to
nothometoday

Actually it's worth a try, they didn't make many different ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They'd have changed from unified to metric some 30 years ago. And the chances of a main Vauxhall dealer keeping stock for that length of time is remote. Of course it's possible the same fittings were used on other cars - like any fixing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Vauxhall do have the heritage programme where parts for certain classics are kept available to keep them on the road, and have even been known to do full back to mint restos for customers at very reasonable costs.

Reply to
Elder

How many different wheel studs do you think there are?

Take one of yours to your vauxhall dealers parts man and compare.

Reply to
Burgerman

Bet they wouldn't in today's climate. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are lots, dozens, in fact. As I found when I was looking for locking bolts off the shelf in a motor factors.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh I know. But some people think just because a manufacturer doesn't have to support a model after a certain period of time, that none of them will. Mercedes is another who can provide parts for all cars they have ever made, if you can wait/pay the higher price for them.

Reply to
Elder

The thread doesent matter as long as you get the maching nuts, only the splinr bit nrrds to be the same and there are surprisingly few different ones. Even a different manufacturer may use the same ones. They are standardised like threads.

Reply to
Burgerman

That thought had occurred - but I didn't realise the splines stayed the same after things went metric.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh Cresta, the crest of the Vauxhall range: Wyvern, Velox, Cresta :-)

Reply to
johannes

Yep. Stuff like that tends not to have changed much. They might be metric now but dealers tend to be able to come up with bits like that. I can still get wheelnuts and studs for Capris from Ford dealers although I think they're Mondeo ones now.

Reply to
Conor

Splines can be metric or imperial or entirely different!

Many gearboxes and drive shafts on different makes of cars for eg are interchangable. As are clutch splines etc. Wheel studs are no different. If you cant find one that fits after all that just re drill the hub! Or use a different more modern one that fits or is suitable. An afternoon down the scrappy usually finds something!

Reply to
Burgerman

IIRC, the splines on a clutch plate are a different matter. With a new hub and wheel bolts, the splines are only on the bolt. It then cuts them in the hub when forced in. So I'm surprised they didn't change when the bolts themselves went metric - as the stock they're made from would be of a different diameter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wind a nut on to protect the end of the thread from getting mashed and just tap with a claw hammer. They'll pop free very easily.

Try typing "wheel studs" into Google.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Just get the next size up / metric or imperial from whatever garage or manufacturer you can and drill the holes to the next size up. Its not major engineering and you can do it at home. What stops most people doing most things is just a lack of imagination or / and experience. I would have found a solution and fixed the problem faster than waiting for a reply on here!

My dad had a cresta when I was a kid!

PS If its imperial then look at US cars studs.

Reply to
Burgerman

huh i have that attitude to pretty much anything electronic be it a computer to whatever but when it comes to cars i'm more like 'oh i dunno, probably shouldn't mess with that' unless it's the electrics in a car then i'm like 'sure i can find the prob' weird eh. i've got a lot of mechanic mates so it's never been a problem and there all useless with computers so i sort there comps out and they sort my cars everyone happy hehe

Reply to
Vamp