Damsel in distress...

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to post. If not, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction, I've never used these group thingies before. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my reversing lights. They aren't working. It's not useful when I need to go backwards. It's a 96 Peugeot 306 D Turbo. I have had a quick look at the fuse box & none seem to have blown, but to be perfectly honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Does anyone know which fuse serves the reverse lights? I've tried to take the panel off to get to the lights themselves to see if the bulbs have gone, but it would be unlikely that they'd both have gone surely? I can get the panel off but I can't get the light unit out so I didn't actually achieve my aim anyway... I'm such a girl! But at least I'm having a go... :o) Cheers for your help in advance. T.F.

Reply to
beatrixdunlop

The manual should have the relevant fuse details, very quick and easy fix if that is the problem. I would check the bulbs aswell. If it something else light the bulb holder and a dodgy connection then it s apin in the bum.

Someone who knows more about this will be along shortly to help hopefully

Reply to
Edward

REverse lights don't stop you from going backwards and as most car drivers seem oblivious to reversing warning beepers, a light isn't going to make much difference.

Chances are the reverse light switch on the gearbox has failed or the wire corroded off, assuming the blub hasn't blown.

Good on you for checking though. Many drivers don't seem to bother doing any light checks.

Reply to
Conor

Depending on the year and spec, it may only have 1 reversing light anyway. Lots of french cars have this arrangement. They aren't needed for an MOT.

If it has 2, then as you never see the rear of your car when you are reversing, one could have blown 2 or 3 years ago and you've only just noticed now the other one has gone.

I can't remember how to change the bulbs on a hatchback 306, but it's generally pretty simple. Have another go, just don't pull or push anything hard enough to break it (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Open the boot and locate the black rear cover to the light housing. Undo both large plastic 'nuts' - you can do it by hand, they're designed for it. Remove the rear cover and you'll see the multiplug which connects the bulbs up to the car's electrics. Pull it out (you'll need to push the metal clip in to allow you to remove the plug). Now pull the whole rear light cluster out from the back of the car. Look inside the cluster and you'll see the board on which the bulbs are mounted. Look for the two plastic retaining clips, pop them open and take the board out. Locate the blown bulb and replace. Put the whole lot back together and repeat for the other side :D

Reply to
Abo

Well Thank you all for your replies!!! I'm pleased to say that I managed to remove the rear light panels and checked all of the bulbs - and switched them round to be sure it wasn't just the bulbs - Anyway, unfortunately the bulbs are just fine and dandy. So I've put the car back together and now I'm perplexed... Though someone just mentioned to me that there's some switch or other on the gearbox or in it or something, but I'm guessing that'll be a garage job. I'm still on the basics... :o) Very grateful for all of your assistance though peoples!!! May you all have a long and happy summer!! T.F. :oD

Reply to
beatrixdunlop

If it is the switch, it's a 10 minute job to change over.

Reply to
Conor