Diagnostics Port

Yes, some don't, the clever bit is the hardware "dongle" that translates between OBD-II and RS232. There are a couple of new standards, KWP2000 and ISO-14230, but the solution I have is supposed to work with everything OBD-II compliant.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, it simply enhances it with the non-generic coding. The Ford Enhanced packages allow over 150 different variables to be read...

Reply to
DervMan

ROFL !

Reply to
Nom

ROFL !

Reply to
Nom

Huh ?

Does that mean my TI has it ?

Reply to
Nom

It says on the site you posted the supras up to 97 use some other thing with a V in it, not OBD-II. Closed the page now so i can't see it.

Reply to
Chet

I thought this was only true for cars sold in the US

-- James

Reply to
James

If it's 1996 onwards, yes.

Reply to
DervMan

Nope, it's a global standard.

Our Ka isn't sold in any State of America and the kit works.

Reply to
DervMan

There's a european standard too, which maps onto it so anything sold in Europe also should have the full OBD-II. It's not a major imposition though anyway, it's sort of an emission control thing so when you have that, you may as well do it the OBD-II defined way, rather than invent your own and try and get the rest of the world to convert to your standard.

Reply to
antispam

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

True, it's a global standard, but the "Nope" bit is not correct.

But that doesn't mean it's a legal necessity over here on all post-96 cars.

Ford may well use OBD-II globally, probably because Ford use pretty much the same engine manglement systems globally, just tailoring the actual maps for each engine etc. Other manufacturers may, or they may not, depending on what proportion of their sales are stateside.

For example, the OBD-II descriptions at fordscorpio.co.uk are VERY different to the diagnostic info that my '96 XM gives me.

Reply to
Adrian

were

Heh.

No, you're right, I understood that it was a global requirement.

Okay, I take it back, I was wrong.

To be fair, bananas to it since it works with my Ford, heh. :)

Reply to
DervMan

!

Are you sure ? What is it exactly ? How do I find out about it ? What connector should I be looking for ? Give me some useful links ?

Reply to
Nom

Pah !

I was pretty certain the TI didn't have it !

Reply to
Nom

Does Rover not have a system that they plug your motor into when it goes to a franchised rover shop?

My J reg carlton has a diagnostics port. You can read stuff that the engine and gearbox ecu's have stored. I have no idea if it's OBD-II and whether you can read suff from it in real time or not. Surely the rover has something similar?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's inside under the dash somewhere.

Reply to
Lordy

I'd be _very_ surprised if the TI doens't have something very similar, and I'd also be surprised if it wasn't OBD-II compatible.

Have you looked for the diagnostics port?

Reply to
DervMan

If it's like some Hondas, it'll be recessed behind a panel... perhaps where the ashtray is?

Reply to
DervMan

OBD-II is an American standard for powertrain/emissions diagnostics. The specifications are issued by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). OBD-II was, as mentioned, mandatory on US cars from 1996 on.

EOBD (European On-Board Diagnostics) is pretty much the SAME as OBD-II, and was mandatory on European petrol-engine cars from (if memory serves)

2000, and diesels from 2001 . The EOBD standards are issued by ISO (European standards agency), and have an almost exact correspondence to the SAE standards.

On cars made before the relevant diagnostics were mandatory, you can't assume it will work anyway (it probably won't), even if the connector looks like the OBD-II standard one...

OBD-II/EOBD specify that a particular kind of trapezoidal 16-pin connector be used to attach the diagnostic tool to the vehicle, and that this should be within easy reach of the driving position. This standard connector specifies pins to be used for the four *incompatible* communications methods covered by the standard, which are:

PWM : Pulse width modulated, aka SCP, used mostly by Ford. VPW : Variable pulse width, used mostly by GM/Vauxhall ISO9141-2 : Simple, level-shifted RS232, used by VAG and other Europe and Asia based manufacturers CAN : Controller Area Network - not (yet) widely used for mandatory diagnostics, but often for proprietary diagnostics. Much faster than the others, and likely to be a common standard in the future.

On my (UK-spec, 2000 MY) Mondeo, the diagnostic connector is underneath and to the right of the steering wheel, and has mandatory diagnostics on the PWM pins (as per Ford standard), but also has ISO 9141-2 and CAN connections for proprietary diagnostics (IE all the stuff Ford don't have to make public, like how to re-program the ECU, or wind the clock back, or *sigh* the ABS and SRS diagnostics).

To talk to any of these alternative interfaces, you need an interface to convert the signals to RS232, and then some software to interpret the data (and a laptop or equiv. to run it on). I bought the bits for an interface which supports all but CAN from Bev Roadman in the US

built it into a nice robust case, and in conjunction with the freely downloadable software it works superbly. Bev's site is very instructive on OBD-II in general, although, on checking, they are "temporarily closed due to illness". Get well soon! As for the use of these things - all the engine parameters are interesting - but if the dreaded MIL (malfunction indicator light, aka engine check light) comes on you have no choice but to use a diagnostic scan tool to read the fault codes. The flashing LED method often used on older ECUs isn't used anymore (too slow and unreliable). The scan tool can also clear the fault codes and switch the MIL off. The often suggested method of leaving the battery disconnected for half an hour may clear the codes and switch off the MIL, but it won't tell you what it was that caused it to come on the first place.

From others comments, I believe the all up cost of my interface (about £60) compares favourably with having a dealer scan the car for you.

For VW/Audi/Skoda owners, the VAG-Com

diagnostic tool has to be a bargain at around $200 - because it allows you to read loads of the proprietary diagnostics as well as the mandatory ones, including those on older (pre-2000) cars. Hope this was useful...

Reply to
Jonathan

I've got a little piece of circuit board that has the power on, paper out and on line leds and form feed, line feed and on line switches on it, from a £1 Amstrad DMP2000 printer plugged into my engine check connector. Had to unsolder and turn the leds round. Press the switch and it flashes codes.

Peter Hill