FAO Dervman

Are you absolutely 100% sure that if I pick up a set of Puma calipers they'll fit the Ka? Do I need different brackets?

I'll join the Ka Klub now and everything.

Reply to
Doki

One assumes you'll also need the Puma cylindar?

Reply to
Dan405

ISTR that the Puma has the same brakes as the vented disk Ka, and that solid and vented disk both have the same master cylinder.

Reply to
Doki

Hmmmm - do all Puma's have the vented set up? Cos one assumes the 1.7 has bigger, better brakes than a Ka, and so will surely have a bigger cylinder?

Reply to
Dan405

That's what I would expect, but I'm sure I've heard Dervman say they're the same before. AFAIK all Pumas have vented disks.

Reply to
Doki

Wrong assumption - from what I understand, Kermit has essentially the "small Ford vented front disc set up," which for his age basically means the same as the Puma.

However, as a disclaimer, I know that the kit from an XR2i swaps right off for the Ka, but I don't know of anybody physically using a deceased Puma's brakes on their Ka.

Reply to
DervMan

Yea but SURELY the 130bhp 1.7 pumas have a bigger cylinder than a 60bhp Ka?

1.4 Nova SRi's (90bhp?) have a smaller cylinder than the 100bhp GSi/GTE....
Reply to
Dan405

Hmm. There's a set of calipers of a Puma 1.7 barely used on Ebay. I'll try ringing a couple of tuning type places to check.

Reply to
Doki

What are the benefits of a larger master cylinder would than not reduce the output pressure of the hydraulic fluid?

Firmer pedal with a shorter travel assuming that the callipers don't have larger cylinders resulting in the smaller master cylinder no containing sufficient fluid to displace the pistons in the callipers.

Reply to
Depresion

Looks like they altered the disks to 260 from 240mm on the Puma at some time in 2000...

Reply to
Doki

I dunno, but it seems the better your brakes have to be, the bigger your cyilnder has to be.

Reply to
Dan405

You pretty much want to retain the same ratio of master cylinder piston area:total brake caliper piston area

So, if you put on calipers with larger (or more) pots, then you would typically increase the master cylinder size accordingly. Keeping the smaller master cylinder will result in more sensitive brakes, but there will be more travel required to take up the eccentricity of the brake discs, so more travel of the brake pedal before anything happens.

Or something :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby