Fast estate cars for small money.

It's not, it's a manual, Ghia X on a 51 plate. They only have like 170bhp or something and weigh like, 1600kg! The 206 is distinctly better at overtaking heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Citroen XM. Absolutely fooking massive and even the 2.0i tramp on.

Reply to
Conor

What about a Scorpio? They're about free now aren't they they're so ugly?

Reply to
Iridium

It probably will just about crack that, at a push. Unfortunately that=20 was fast maybe 10 years ago, these days it's barely enough to keep an=20 enthusiastic driver awake. I could walk all over an ST220 in the 620TI,=20 and that wasn't exactly a super-jappa-racer...

If I remember correctly there's a video on YouTube of someone in an=20 ST220 trying to keep up with a Rover Turbo and something else. Just=20 keeps getting left behind, it's funny as f*ck.

Out of that list he gave, the T5 and the Legacy are the only two that=20 really border on 'fast' territory. The Legacy is great fun and has been=20 =DCber-Reliable but I don't know if I'd recommend one to anyone. Fuel=20 economy would definetely be an issue though, sub 10mpg is the order of=20 the day :P

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

It probably will just about crack that, at a push. Unfortunately that was fast maybe 10 years ago, these days it's barely enough to keep an enthusiastic driver awake. I could walk all over an ST220 in the 620TI, and that wasn't exactly a super-jappa-racer...

If I remember correctly there's a video on YouTube of someone in an ST220 trying to keep up with a Rover Turbo and something else. Just keeps getting left behind, it's funny as f*ck.

Out of that list he gave, the T5 and the Legacy are the only two that really border on 'fast' territory. The Legacy is great fun and has been Über-Reliable but I don't know if I'd recommend one to anyone. Fuel economy would definetely be an issue though, sub 10mpg is the order of the day :P

ST220's aint that quick dunno why cos on paper all looks good! had a traffic light start with one once and i eased away quite easily, i guess the BM is pretty close on power to weight on an ST220 though

not as good as the time i was behind an ST220 on a single carrigeway in chelmsford once (before i got banned) the ST220 overtook a lorry and i followed and when he came back into the left lane i passed the ST220 as well hehe. still to sensible for that kinda stupidity now i tend to use the loud power like 'the force' in star wars very wisely :)

Reply to
Vamp

Agreed. Biggest/flattest load area of them all. Didn't they also do a turbo version of the XM?

JB

Reply to
JB

Sod that, if you're going to get a big Citroen, didn't they do a CX GTI Turbo 7-seater estate thingie?

Absolutely massive.

Reply to
SteveH

bout one of these?

turn the boost up a bit sorted!

Reply to
Vamp

Tsssk, pikey.

There's one on Autotrader for a grand, needs an SVA though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Carl Gibbs, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Find me a buyer for the Golf and you're on :-p

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Vamp, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Engine is too small.

No point in having a car that weighs more than around 1400kg if its got an engine smaller than 3.0 (T5 excepted, I like the T5 motor lots.)

Reply to
Pete M

5 seat estate (Safari rather than Familiale) is same body so ends up bigger inside. And it weighs about the same as a 206D too...

Unfortunately AFAIK they only did the 2.5i or TD in estate form, not the GTI Turbo :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Elder, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Possibly, but I'd feel wrong owning something on that chassis that didn't have an Alfa 3.0 or Ferrari V8 in, and I can't be bothered fitting one to a Saab.

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Iridium, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

A 24v Ultima Estate would do nicely

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Carl Gibbs, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I could chuck a V8 in a Mk2 Granada in my sleep. Done enough of the bloody things.

Reply to
Pete M

I'd say the Subaru but you'll have to be very careful with UK-spec single turbos as they're getting old and quite a few have been used as Impreza substitutes by people who couldn't afford an Impreza and then found out that the Legacy costs at least as much to run.

The Twin Turbo Legacy is probably the better car but your budget will only buy you a slushbox one and they're notorious for eating their gearboxes. And they're not cheap to repair as I found out at my own cost...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Lordy.UK, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Reply to
Pete M

Yet good for 800bhp (though that would blow your budget out the window).

Reply to
Depresion

IMO it felt considerably slower than a Jag XJ40 with about 120 horses a tonne. IIRC I read the handbook and it put out a stupidly low power output for a 2.3l engine, let alone a turboed one.

Reply to
Doki

John Shelley did regular runs back and forth in a Volvo 760, and a legacy estate.

Both did rather well. You should get in touch with John, you would get on well.

Reply to
Elder