Quick Classic for under a grand.

Ok, a month or so ago I asked what people would buy for £500ish...

I've been saving up, so now I should have about £900 and the Golf to play with, this is what I want from a car...

Rear wheel drive (but a 4x4 Sierra V6 Estate would be damn tempting so 4x4 is acceptible) Cheap insurance if possible (but it's highly unlikely)

25-30 mpg on a run, 17+ in town Reasonable reliability (across Europe planned next year, maybe to Sweden) Easy to get bits Easy to work on Reasonably quick would be nice, i.e. less than 10.5 sec to 60, nice and torquey Nothing fwd thank you very much.

The shortlist is as follows.

Sierra 4x4 Audi 90 Quattro, can you find an Audi 200 Quattro cheap these days? Jag XJ6 4.2, though 25 mpg is highly unlikely Triumph 2500 PI, but that rules out the reliability, is 2500S reasonably quick? Capri 3.0 Alfa 75 3.0, might even consider a nice 2.0. Rover P6 3500, dubious in high temperatures though, anyone found a fix? Rover 3500 SD1 Granada 3.0 Cortina 2.0 Ghia, maybe a 2.3 (if I can find a Granada with a decent 2.8 in to pinch) BMW 735i or 535i, ideally a 750i, but reliability and parts costs look scary.

I'm sure some people will be screaming "They're not classics", but who cares, there doesn't seem to be a s**te old cars forum.

Besides, I'm a child of the 70s, grew up watching the Sweeney and the Professionals and it seems to have affected my taste in cars. [1]

Ta in advance :)

[1] Did own a 2.3S Mk4 Cortina, VHK 473S. Bought it for £150, drove it into the ground, scrapped it, watched it get cubed, went home, saw it in the Professionals.. How gutted was I? Only needed a diff and cosmetics round the sunroof. Thing was only worth buttons at the time. 1989 IIRC. Had a nice S trim in it an all, black with the grey stripes.
Reply to
Pete M

Rust, rust and more rust.

Pretty solid car, but likely to be a right shed at that kind of money.

Rust.

Rust and dodgy injection system.

You want a 2.8i - the 3lt Kent is a really nasty engine compared with the 2.8 Cologne.

Nice choice and there's a nice looking V6 for sale on one of the other groups you occasionally frequent......

If you go for a V6 check out the clutch very carefully as they cost a small fortune to replace....... unlike the 2.0lt which is only about £140 plus fitting. (Seen prices from £400 - £900 quoted for a V6 clutch in parts alone)

Lots of sheds out there - you won' find a solid one for that kind of money.

Rust, bits of trim falling off, and a shed for that money.

Again, 2.8 is a better choice. Buy now before the values take off.

Granada is a much nicer car - especially in Ghia X form.

Noooooo. Not for that kind of cash. Sharknose (can't remember the E designation) 528e - very low-revving, torquey, economical and reliable car. Can still get very nice ones for under a grand. Later E34 is likely to be a bit of a shed for that kind of money and doesn't have the classic lines.

All the 'sharknose' 7-series cars are now buggered or expensive classics. They're still in the hands of back-street boozer landlords and bouncers, so aren't likely to have been looked after.

Definitely classics IMHO.

Ooooh, Bugger!

Reply to
SteveH

No Reliant Scimitar?

RWD Classic Insurance Reliable as a Ford (take that how you will) - but frequently used for continental runs by a lot of owners MPG - easily with a manual/overdrive...Auto with care

99% of mechancial bits next day from traders They have grease nipples and everything can be done with a standard imperial socket set 0-60 in less than 10 - about same as a 3.0 Capri 3.0V6...torquey enough?
Reply to
Phil Howard

SteveH was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

That'll be mine then...

Seconded, thirded etc. You can probably get a decent 2000/2200 for that money though.

E28, and the correct designation is '525e'.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

"Pete M"

Manta GT/E Coupe. Exclusives on a D, E or F plate are your best bet. Biggest problem obviously will be rust, but you might be lucky......

-- tomScotland "stick this in your fuse-box"

stop your grinnin' and drop "YOUR LINEN" to reply Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Reply to
tomScotland

Ahh, cheers, Timo.

Glad there was a boxhead around to remind me ;-)

Always fancied one of them myself.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

ah, having owned a 2.8i and a 3.0 back to back a few years ago, I have to disagree. the 3.0 is a *lot* torquier.. sounds a shed load better as well, I don't like siamesed exhaust ports.

I'm oop north don't forget ;)

agreed, but there's a lovely lookin Mk4 Ghia for sale not so far from here.. I'm thinkin about it... and a Rover V8 maybe.. :-D

you're probably right there :-o

Reply to
Pete M

Timo Geusch waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Ooooh, might well be tempted Herr G... I know all about your taste in SOIB and cars... very similar to mine. So at least I know it'd blow up on the way home and could buy with faith... Ow much? any pics?

Reply to
Pete M

Offers around £750.....

;-)

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Looks rather nice that.

I think it's time for a word with the bank manager.. or a DSS crisis loan ;-)

Ta Steve.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

No wonder I'm feeling watched from time to time :-)

It was the nicest one I could find at the time I was looking. Comes with about 1 1/2-2 inches worth of paperwork as well - someone really looked after that car. And then I bought it...

:-)

Well, you've got my email :-). Be warned though that atm, another UKRMer is at the front of the queue.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

SteveH was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Cheers mate.

You can fill up the P6 for me? ;-)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Heh. I've yet to start on the wine tonight...

Well, catman *has* been awfully quiet about this one, don't you think?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I think he's run out of room on the drive...... it's probably a good job I only barely have room for 3 cars and a bike here, or I'd have been up to 4 cars by now ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Heh. Not enough space for one car, me, unless I park it on the road. But given how steep the drive is that's probably a good thing.

Actually I think I might have to park the Rover somewhere else, it's a bit too close to the school for my liking. Then again, I've had other cars keyed that were parked a bit up the road so it probably doesn't make a difference...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

2.8i Capri. Some still left for under a grand. Insurance on mine is=20 =A3163 Fully comp, 5000 miles, =A31500 agreed value through Roadsure on=20 their Classic Car policy. Does 28 MPG and you can't beat the noise of a=20 V engine. =20

--=20 ________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ________________________

Reply to
Conor Turton

Hmm, they're pretty solid if you bide your time and find a good one.

Funnily enough, I spotted a nice G plate one in black earlier... looked pretty good nick overall, and it was up for £795 ono.

Ahem... I have in my possession, one A plate Mk2 Granada 2.8 Ghia X in metallic blue over purple (looks far better than it sounds).

Lowered, chromed arches, 15" Merc five spoke rims in silver with the spokes the same metallic blue as the car.

The car itself is in what I'd describe as in better than average condition, especially for its age.

I bought it to go cruising about in of a weekend, and because I reckon clean ones of these have just about hit the turning point where prices will start to climb steeply (especially as the banger fraternity have destroyed so many, there's hardly any left on the road now) - might sell if the price is right...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Ah... well my personal route would be to buy an old Capri or Granada 2.8 /

3.0, and follow the following receipe:

First, take one smashed Scorpio 24v Cosworth, and remove the engine and all ancillaries / loom etc.

Then drop said lump into said classic.

Heat the rear tyres up until well done!

It's sort of an idea I'm toying with for my Ghia X, tbh.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

JackH waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

note for Steve H, the 3.0 "Kent" is an Essex, but close.

I very nearly dropped the V8 out of my Vitesse (R.I.P.) into the 2.8 injection Mk2 Granny (R.I.P) I had a year or so ago. The 24v Cossie motor is a gorgeous thing, but it's a heavy old lump (although lighter than the Cologne I imagine) and it's only 204 BHP. A LOT less wiring putting an EFi Rover lump in than the 24v Scorpio one I imagine, and none of that malarky with catalysts and lambda sensors. Besides, if you get the V8 EFi loom from a Range Rover, it's on about 2 miles [1] of cable which is handy.

[1] slight exaggeration, but it's under the o/s/f seat of a Rangey and not too hard to botch into something else. [2] [2] like the Mk2 Escort 4.3 V8 I built with some friends for a laugh years ago.
Reply to
Pete M

Oh, f*ck..... hadn't noticed that one..... it's because I spend so much time slagging off the old Kent lump in Dervman's Ka, you see ;-)

Nearly got away with it, too. Arse!

Reply to
SteveH