Fleet quandary - what to keep, what to sell...

Right, I've been spending far too much time again in all the wrong places like ebay, mainly looking for a runabout. And this is where it's getting complicated.

Basically, I'm planning to do trackdays this year - the more the merrier - but not in either of my RX-7s (the convertible is far too nice and the FD is not exactly what you want as a novice, plus it'd cost a bomb if I crash it). Oh, and potentially some drifting. So I went out and bought an MX-5. Decent handling, not too much power and pretty much ideal for the trackday novice. Oh, and it's RWD as well. The main problem with it however is that it's useless as a runabout - driving to the airport with the suitcase balancing on the passenger seat is a tad, well, crap.

Sooo. The quandary. I have a shiteoldovlov that I don't like driving anyway, so I can replace that with something else that's eligible for classic inswearance. Problem with that idea is that it means I'd have four cars again with the associated overheads and maintenance (heck, even polishing) nightmares.

Alternatively, I've got a buyer for the MX-5, so I could sell the MX-5 and the ovloV, then go buy something that I can take on the track *and* that's big enough to stick a suitcase in the boot. Oh, and hopefully cheap enough that when I stick it in the tyrewall, it was cheap enough to hawk out the remains on ebay and not lose a packet.

Somehow the second option appeals more. Not because I don't like the MX5 but because I can't realistically look after the number of vehicles I've got a the moment, so reducing that by one or two would be nice. It would be a good thing if I was able to do most of the servicing myself but as the car most likely wouldn't seem massive miles, even that's a nice to have. Oh, and it would have to be RWD (not a big fan of FWD) or at a pinch, 4WD. Plus the handling should be up to the standard where it makes sense to take the car on the track.

So far I've discounted most of the Italians that came to mind immediately (sorry SteveH, I'm *not* getting another 75 or Alfetta), which seems to leave a choice of German metal or Japanese stuff.

Obviously an E30 318is would be a good choice (and just about within budget), but they're not easy to find. And E36 may have potential if I could find one with an LSD. Drifting just doesn't work without one.

As another alternative that would probably be unsuitable for a trackday novice though, I've also found a couple of very nice early Mitsubishi Evos (unmodified ones, that is) that are very tempting. Even though they're no use for drifting. Trouble is, with an Evo I'm getting close to "expensive to run and maintain" territory again.

Anybody got any other ideas? Car should be big enough to seat four adults, not completely silly insurance wise (which rules out Skylines and probably the Evo), have a boot big enough for two suitcases and shouldn't cost more than 3k...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Drifting looks a bit s**te, to be honest.

However, having seen how quickly a W202 C-Class can be slung around a track, I'd possibly suggest one of those in Kompressor form. They're getting cheap now.

Don't know if they have an LSD, so don't know if they're any good for drifting, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Bad form, but I just spotted that.

V6 and LSD, YKIMS ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Ford Capri 2.8i Special. Comes with LSD for 84> models and can be=20 converted to a track car quite easily as they still compete in Classic=20 Touring Championships. Cheap as chips as well. An extremely good one=20 will set you back less than =A33k.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

I had a moment of inspiration.

Nissan 200SX. S14a shape cars should be coming into your budget now - S14s definitely are.

Reply to
SteveH

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Conor, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

All 2.8i Specials have LSDs, it's the standard 2.8i that doesn't.

Personally, for drifting, I'd be using a 3.0S with a 2.8i Special diff. :)

Reply to
Pete M

Actually the S14 SteveH suggested is considered the better car for drifting as the S13 tends to understeer a lot unless suspension has been tweaked.

Indeed. It also fails on the "must have four proper seats and decent boot space" requirements to a certain extent. Mind you, this is relative and relative to an FD RX-7, I would hazard a guess that a 200SX that hasn't been massively modified is likely to be cheaper to run.

All E30s apart from the grottiest sheds seemed to be firming up considerably. The reason I was thinking of the 318is is that it already comes with all the desirable bits on like an LSD and the sport suspension. Even if I'm not taking it drifting, an LSD is potentially a good idea on the track anyway.

Another car I'm currently considering is an E36 328i with the M-Sport package (so it's got the decent suspension). Haven't had a chance to look at it and it needs a compression test to confirm if it's suffering from Nikasil issues or not, but that's a potential alternative for the same money as a 318is.

Well, as mentioned I have an MX5 as a trackday shed already - I assume that the CRX is pretty stripped out? Plus, my last CRX taught me again that I really don't like FWD cars, at least in the driving fast context. I appreciate the offer and I am somewhat tempted because I do like CRXs despite them being wrong-wheel drive :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I assume you haven't tried it? It's a heck of a lot harder than it looks, but it does teach a lot about car control...

Hmm. That's a car I hadn't considered even though I was thinking of a

190 Cosworth as they're close enough to the budget. Guess I should have a peek.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

I can see that they'd work well for drifting, but I was hoping for something with a tad more modern chassis.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Vamp's got a 328i Coupe - pass on whether it's got M-sport kit or not, but AFAIK it's in reasonable nick and definitely nikasil free.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Keep the MX-5:

Abo

A Capri is really just a MKII Escort in a party frock from a chassis perspective. I'm not saying that;s a bad thing, it's not. It's a good thing.

The world and their granny knows that MKII Escorts are the must chuckable and enjoyable things to drive. Modern, Schmodern.

(P.S. I would be having a Locost with a zetec in it. Tony Bond will be along in a minute to explain...)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Sierra of some description

XR4 if you want something a tad slower and cheaper

saphy cos if you want to spend a bit more

how fast you go with a cossie is just a question of throwing some cash at it :)

ticks all your boxes too

Cheap(ish) RWD LSD and with a cash injection anywhere from 220-500 horses oh and it has a ruddy great big boot

oh and if you stuff it theres a good market in breaking them(probably worth more in parts than as a full car)

Reply to
Rob Finlayson

If you did go down the 200SX route, there's plenty of peeps over on the SXOC who use theirs for drifting.

I know a few of the local members who are into this, as in they're (or were the last time I saw them), members of a competitive drifting team

- think they spent more than 3k on their cars though. ;-)

I've not been moving in those circles much for the last couple of years, but they were having a meet once every two weeks in Ashford actually, of all places, the last time I was.

You should pop over one Saturday and meet the mate who works down the local rolling road I told you about, as aside from the fact he's in the process of finally getting his S13 200SX RB26 conversion ready for the road, I think he's still well connected with some of the drifter peeps I mention above.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Rob Finlayson, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Steve H wouldn't approve of those.

Reply to
Pete M

190 Cosworths don't do drifting. Unless you get the mental Evo one the 190 Cosworth isn't a very impressive car, or even particularly quick.

Loads of "prestige" though.

Reply to
Pete M

That'll be the EvoII, which cost HFM. EvoIs aren't much more powerful that the standard 2.5-16.

Even a standard 2.5-16 has over 190bhp, though, so although not as quick as a Sierra Cosworth, still have more than adequate power.

Reply to
SteveH

Eh?

Not much wrong with a Sierra Cosworth, other than s**te parts availability and rust.....

But I'd have a good one, unfortunately, good ones are well over Timo's price range.

Reply to
SteveH

Surely it has to be some form of Nissan SX? 200 or was there a 180 or something?

Reply to
Iridium

Heh, I just read the rest of the thread now. I feel a bit dirty agreeing with both Steve AND Jack H - so I'm gonna go another route and suggest a Celica GT4 :-)

Reply to
Iridium