Focus 1.8 TDCi

OK, the Corolla is gone (thank f*ck) and I've got her the above. It's an 04 plate, black, 5 door, alloys, air con, blah de blah. 115PS and nippy it is.

Being the footerer abouter that I am, it's got to have more. Anyone with any experience of chipping these? What sort of power is available? She thinks its quick enough but I'm going to use it a fair whack over the course of next month to do some long distance jaunting and would like to have a bit more poke :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

With a bluefin, you'll be getting about 125bhp. Thats about the limit on the stock turbo (teeny) and downpipe.

Get a spare EGR valve- you'll be needing it...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wouldn't waste your money as the gain will be very small despite magazine claims. You would have been better getting a Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel as they are

136BHP standard and a lot cheaper and far quicker than a focus. They respond very well to tuning. So does the Rover 25TDi 2litre. I have had them on the rolling road pushing out 140BHP and reaching 60mph in 7s. Very strong engines that only require a better exhaust and air filter. The focus is not very good, so best leaving it as standard and then you will not have it falling to bits.
Reply to
Clark

136bhp for the 3 seconds you're in the powerband
Reply to
Chet

I didn't buy it for the out and out straight line grunt. I bought it for the fact it excels in all the other regions those cars you mention don't.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Bollocks.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

What I thought.

OK, so the Passat is heavier, but it's the same power, and there's no way in this world it gets even close to that figure.

Reply to
SteveH

Utter bollucks. Have you personally tried tweaking a turbodiesel?

I can think of lots of reasons why to not buy the Almera. Here are a few:

It's tepid to drive. It's a rebadged Renault. It doesn't like corners. It's noisy. The ride is wallowly. It's "compact" inside.

And finally don't forget, it's the car "they" didn't want you to have.

Hahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH *cough* hahahahaah.

Utter gibberish.

Reply to
DervMan

gone (thank f*ck) and I've got her the above. It's an

For 140bhp from a Rover 25 TDI, you're looking at chip, filter, decat and a fiddle with the wastegate actuator. I know this because I had the otherwise identical 220SDi once, and saw 140bhp with exactly those mods. You won't be getting anywhere near that with just the filter and exhaust though - it's the chip you need. While I'm not disputing that that sort of power is easily obtainable, 0-60 in 7s is pure fantasy. More like 8.5... To see 7s, you need over 140bhp, which means new injectors. With lots of work and lots of cash, a smidge over 180bhp is obtainable, which _might_ get you down into the 7s 0-60 range. You run into the other problem though - the Rover PG1 gearbox is already running close to its torque limits in standard tune, so imagine what its life expectancy would be with another significant wodge of torque going into it...

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Did you have to go to special classes to learn to write such bollocks?

The Almera is one of the few cars that I have added to my "never, ever, ever give me one of these as a hire car" list at my local car hire company.

Words do not exist for how bad these dull as ditchwater shopping trolleys are. The best thing about the Almera is that it has a net bag in the back for your shopping. It has an engine that is not connected to the wheels (or at least that's how it feels, press the accelerator, noise happens and nothing else of note).

Whereas the Focus is one of the best built, best handling cars on sale at the moment. It's one of the few cars currently in production that can put a bloody great big daft grin on the face of the driver.

It's the only non-Mercedes car that has tempted my wife to own one and she hates everything Ford.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"It's one of the few cars currently in production that can put a bloody great big daft grin on the face of the driver."

The only Focus that could put a big grin on my face is the ST ;-)

Reply to
Me