Getting pushed back in your seat

But not the one being discussed which has roughly 100lb/ft torque and powerband from 2000-6000 rpm.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Or a roundabout. Or a 270 degree motorway slip road.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

You didn't even know about Red Victor Racing until I linked direct to their website.

Reply to
Elder

Agreed, a Saab 900 Turbo was faster from 50-90 than a Ferrari Testarossa in top gear roll on.

But then would a Ferrari be happy in top gear at 50?

Reply to
Elder

Are you after a prize?

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Because with the right components, a normally aspirated Pinto in a MK2 Escort will do 11 second quarter miles.

Remind me which car is depreciating.

Reply to
Conor

- you'll never own anything that'll accelerate as fast as something powered by the Pinto engines they build.

Reply to
Conor

Err, yes the one being discussed. But please feel free to tell me I have no idea what I put in the engine I built.

Reply to
Conor

Probably not, but then I wouldn't want to own a stripped down car with an engine that probably needs a rebuild every few thousand miles. However I did own a yank tank that did 60 in 5 secs without even trying out the box using a normally aspirated low revving V8 so I don't really understand why you'd waste time trying to soup up a tinky little engine when you could start with something that has far more power and far more potential. Touring cars get 300bhp out of 2.0 4 cyls which last a season maybe but so what? You can do into a dealership and buy a car off the shelf with that power and it'll probably do 200K miles before it needs a rebuild.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

Many aren't.

They don't.

Bollocks. Maybe you thought it did in trying to justify buying a gutless petrol guzzling poorly built lardy bag of shit but even the new Mustangs barely manage that and that's with all the modern fuel injection that they have.

The one thing that old Yank V8's were noted for was their amazing ability to get less power from a 5.7L V8 than we were doing from a 2L Vauxhall Cavalier.

Very nice. Completely misses the point of doing it.

Reply to
Conor

Oh really? Those 70s dagenham dustbin engines barely made it to 50K even if treated with kid gloves. Even with uprated cylinders, cranks and head I don't see them going far when their power has been doubled or more.

Believe what you like. It left an M3 and a 911 trailing and I timed the

60 time myself. Even allowing for an optimistic speedo it was still bloody fast and could burn off anything the cheap side of a ferrari. And it was a chevvy , not a ford.

I've never seen a stock cavalier with 300bhp from a 4 pot.

You'll have to explain it then sometime.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Some versions of the 350 Chevy v8 put out as little as 165bhp in the mid '70s - and that was brochure horsepower. God knows how gutless they actually were.

Adrian

Well this was a late 90s model. And given that 2.0s over here in the 70s struggle to make 80hp its a case of glass houses. Also don't forget that the octane rating of yank petrol is so low its a joke.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, not really. 115bhp from the 307/5.0? Mmm-hmm. That was really nothing very special from 2.0 in the '70s.

measured differently

Reply to
Adrian

The 4.0V6 in the Mustang puts out 210 bhp, the same that Ford Europe manage from a 2.0 ST.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yet here I have a standard Capri with 174,000 miles on the clock on its original engine.

Doesn't matter, they were all the same.

If it had 300BHP, it wasn't a stock engine.

Reply to
Conor

And. Doesn't make the point any more moot.

Ford Pintos in the 70's were doing more than 90BHP.

Actually, the octane rating of premium is higher than ours.

Reply to
Conor

God knows how you've managed it. None of my parents cars lastest much beyond the 30K mark and they were serviced properly.

Look at the specs for the Z28 which was a standard dealership model.

Its handling might have been non existent , but in a straight line little could beat it.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

The mustangs figures might be a bit lame , but its rather apples and oranges. Remove the turbo from the focus and then lets see how much it puts out.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

They try to convince us they have a "classic" by choice because they don't want to admit they can't afford a decent car. No one is fooled.

Reply to
Silk