Scratches ...

Hi all, I have a few scratches on the Disco from green laning. Looked lovely when we first got it but a few years of off-roading and it's now looking quite tired, see pics .. the scratches are everywhere including the roof, some down to primer, a couple down to metal. It's been like this since I got it as it was always intended as an off-roader/green-laner rather than just to tow the caravan .. ;)

Can anyone explain in easy (like I've never properly washed a car as I've always had company cars and used car washes at garages) terms how I might go about removing the scratches? Is it something a novice can do? What sort of cost would a body shop (or anyone for that matter) charge to get rid of the scratches and get it looking reasonable? Is there a good website or forum for this sort of thing? I've been told T-cut, but I have absolutely no experience of paint finishes, waxes, polishes or even cleaning cars at all, and I'd like to do it correctly at least once in its life. I always jet-wash it after an off-roading session, but that's more to get mud off from underneath as it's actually well-maintained and kept in good fettle, just doesn't look it!!. (Hopefully that keeps the tea-leaves away)

Reason being a friend is getting married in January and wants the Disco (He's a Landrover nut) in the wedding 'train' (something like 12, maybe more, Landrovers of various flavours) to carry bridesmaids, family members etc. ;)

I don't expect I can get it done myself in a weekend, but can see me doing a panel at a time maybe, hence why I'm asking now, not a week before I need it.

Cheers .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

"Paul - xxx" wrote in news:7ibcnfF315cg5U1 @mid.individual.net:

The scratches look quite deep but it's difficult to tell from a photograph. You could try using T-Cut or equivalent to polish them out and looking at the degree of scratching, I'd recommend using an electrical polisher which you can buy for £20 or so otherwise it's take ages doing it by hand.

The only other alternative it to have the panels re-sprayed if the scratches are too deep for polishing out. The scratching looks a bit too extensive for a "smart" paint repair job and it would be just as well to re-spray the whole panel(s). So you're looking at £200 per panel or so.

Reply to
Mr. Benn

Anything that goes through the top coat (be it clearcoat or pigment) needs proper paint attention. Anything else you can probably polish out, but you might need "mechanical assistance" for that.

Have a word with Beav on that one. Anything that goes to the primer and metal obviously won't polish out and needs attention from someone who knows what they're doing.

Check out detailingworld, there's more stuff about keeping cars shiny than you'd ever want to know.

See above.

You're looking at several days worth of work, even if you pay someone to do it...

Reply to
Timo on tour

The very shallow ones can be removed with T-cut or another cutting compound and a lot of elbow grease, some of the slightly deeper ones can be disguised with one of the colour matching waxes from Halfords or your local car accessory shop, just wax the whole panel, the deep ones that go to the metal will need that area repainting before you wax it, or at least use a touch up brush and matching paint, then rub it back to flat and polish it. Allow about a day per panel. It's not rocket science, just bloomin' hard work, says he who's just started doing a coach.....

As there are a lot of scratches through to the metal by the look of your pictures, it would probably be cheaper to just respray the whole vehicle, especially if you take the value of your time into account. If you call your local bodyshop, they'll be able to give you a quote, which will be a *lot* lower if you are wiling to prepare the vehicle yourself.

But, if your mate *is* a Land Rover Nut, maybe the "Real Land Rover" (tm) look will be acceptable, in which case, just jetwash it, and run it through a car wash, then maybe wax it so the scratches are at least shiny.

Or take it out playing the day before, then take it "as is". Just remember to deep clean the interior and the door sills after you've been playing, so the dresses don't get dirty. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Why not try a small panel with T cut, to see if it's worth doing the rest or not?

Bod

Reply to
Bod

If it's down to the primer in places then there's no colour there to polish so it's going to need some paint. You could just paint the damaged panels but it might be better to do the lot then you won't need to match the colour, finish etc.

Reply to
Oily

Have a look at

but anything through the clear coat is likely going to need painting.

Reply to
Homer

That would be my take on the situation. But then I only wash cars once a year if that, though the Disco invariably gets washed as part of the service every 9 months or so.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Many thanks all .. didn't think it'd be an easy job and I don't think it's worth a full respray .. it'll only get scratched again after the wedding. Good point about a real Landynut probably liking it muddy and scratched .. but I wanted to show some respect for the occasion, so I'll ask about this option ... :)

Good pointers to detailing sites, thanks .. but jeez some people are a bit, well, anal about it, but if thats their thing I won't complain! Think I'll be reading for a week before I start, if I start at all .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Aren't you worried about road salt eating into the paintwork.

Bod

Reply to
Bod

The scratches aren't there because the photos aren't there.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

The wrap forced by the OP's mail program's broken the links. Try the lnks above.

Reply to
John Williamson

Donno where you live but the roads up here on the North Pennines haven't been salted since April. It's rained plenty since then and road spray will soon wash all the crap (literal) off.

Won't be long before the first snow, normally the end of Oct or early Nov. Note to self, must get some winter tyres this year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only the buses are allowed to do green laning around here. ;-)

I'll get me coat, Z

Reply to
Zimmy

Fair enough, but I think our rain can be acidic (so I've heard), which 'may' affect paintwork,if not washed off regularly, but I'm not 100% sure.

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Found this to co-oberate the above statement:

In the 1980s, the UK was described by Scandinavian countries as ?the dirty old man of Europe? due to high emissions of sulphur dioxide from industrial sources causing transboundary acid rain. Emissions of sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen have since been reduced, although the UK remains a considerable emitter of acidic pollution compared to other European countries.

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Farecla G3 Advance is what you want, in conjunction with a cheap

Reply to
Doki

That's just cruel to both parties.

Reply to
Doki

So if we lioved in Scandinavia you might have a point, but it's not that acidic.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Looks too deep to T cut Paul so a respray may be the answer or maybe..................

DerekW

Reply to
DerekW