Golf clocks

My Dad, in his infinite wisdom, decided to connect the battery charger to my Golf without his reading glasses on a while ago. He got it wrong. He disconnected it pretty sharpish, but ever since the rev counter and MFA aren't playing ball - the same as they do when your battery runs flat and you need to pull the fuse and put it back again. Except that trick doesn't fix it. Are these things solderable or should I be looking for a new MFA and rev counter module from another set of clocks? And are the clocks easy to get out, or should I do it when I get round to swapping the dash?

Reply to
Doki

He must have terrible eyesight to not realise it was still in the car. There is a good reason for not charging a battery when it is still in the car!

Reply to
Rob Farrell

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Doki, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Clocks are quite easy to get out.

Make sure you get identical clocks, there are loads of different types.

MotoMeter (mine's got these), VDO, hazard switch on column or on dash makes a difference as well.

Then there's 120 mph, 140 mph or 160 mph speedos to consider..

Reply to
Pete M

Go on. Tell me it.

Reply to
Doki

Aye. I only want to change the rev counter and MFA brain though, or fix the one I've got. I assume there's a zener or something to protect against this sort of thing and it'll have fried, though my GCSE in electrickery was a long while ago. I know it's a bit of long way round to fixing the problem, but I want to keep the odo reading.

Reply to
Doki