Greenstuff

Err, has anyone ever known Greenstuff pads to be black? I bought a pack direct from EBC in Northants and the packet when delivered was open. The
pads inside are black, even though the code on the box is correct.
And having seen the price of boring, bog standard brake disks for the Ford, I'm buying some slotted rotors from the states instead for $90 each.

Mine were definately green, although they do do Black Stuff pads for, iirc, rather hardcore use?
--
Dan
(formerly Dan405)

MY greenstuff pads have been varying colours depending on the car...
Some where green but most have been black/Grey
I've also had mixed results with them.
Mason

Halfords has signs all over the brake section saying it's illegal to sell brake pads that have the seal broken. Send them back just in case.

Thanks, I'd not seen that notice. I'll raise it with EBC tomorrow when I check that these are the right pads. The worrying thing is that the number printed on the back of the brake pad is not the same as the one on the box.

That would worry me too.
Steve Firth wrote:

Get them back. If the pads in the box are wrong, even if you did open them (which you didn't), the part in the box isn't the one you expected.
--
Carl Robson
"Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf"
Steve Firth wrote:

The would worry me too :)
Re: the Fast Road Compound - I had great results with the Greenstuff pads in my 405 (2.0i 8v). They're totally unsuitable for anything very-heavy and/or genuinely-quick though (super soft compound) - people should be using Redstuff on a performance car.
That prolly doesn't apply to the 4x4 versions that you've got...

Yes, but they are a 4x4 formulation, not the "fast road use" one. They are EBC 6000 series for 4x4 trucks, and got a rave review in Australia.
They do the stock pads as well, but the range of pads available isn't huge. There are Ford, EBC and I think it's Weaver from the USA which are "silver" pads supposedly used by US traffic cops. I was looking for something with less brake dust than the standard and hoped that if I got more stopping power it would be a bonus.
I want slotted rotors because some of the Alpine descents are amusing and on an auto there's really not much engine braking.

Ah well i found the Greens gave loads less brake dust on the 405 :)
--
Dan
(formerly Dan405)

Err only on days with a "y" in them, why?
Steve Firth wrote:

Can you get Porterfield RS4's for the Exploder? Rated good amongst the GT4 crowd for a rather weighty 4x4 coupe. Or maybe Endless make pads, because they have quite a good rep.
--
Carl Robson
"Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf"
Steve Firth wrote:

Ah, that's why they're not green.
Steve Firth wrote:

The pad compound is black - it's just painted green round the sides and on the backing plate. Same applies to Redstuff and Yellowstuff...

Yes, but on these the metal back is also black. Waiting for a reply from EBC at present.
Steve Firth wrote:

Hmmm, that's gonna be 100 for the pair, plus excessive shipping cost, plus VAT and import duty when it arrives in the UK.
Give http://www.jrt-automotive.com/ a phonecall - he offers *amazing* prices on EBC's kit. 282mm discs on the TI, and he supplied me a pair of Turbogroove discs *and* a set of Redstuff pads (60 on their own) for 150. The discs alone are 150 from everywhere else :)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I don't hold out much hope though, EBC told me that they won't be importing tubogroove disks for the Explorer, ever.