98 4Runner Brake Problems

98 4Runner - Auto - 4WD

Problem is on long downhill grades; as I use the brakes more, I get a more pronounced vibration/wobble in the front end (very unnerving on a wet road). Took it in and still had 90+ % on both front and back brakes. Service Tech said it's a known issue...something to do with brakes that aren't heavy-duty enough for the vehicle. Also heard something about 'brake bias' from another mechanic. Considering upgrading to slotted rotors and heavy-duty pads, but don't want to throw away the money if that isn't the problem. Looking for any suggestions that cured same/similar problem.

Reply to
GT

First thing to check in brake vibration, IMO, is always warped, worn or scored rotors. (Well, pads is first, but that's a visual inspection, no-brainer.) Pop 'em off and check them with a gauge, if you can. If they're really bad, you can just set them on a flat plumb surface and you'll be able to see the problem.

Don't know how long "long" downhill grades are, but if you're heating up the brakes significantly, it might make a rotor problem worse by expanding the rotors unevenly. It'll also make the brakes stickier, which is usually a good thing, but if you've got bad rotors it will also make the problem worse. If you're REALLY heating them up, possibly you just need higher-grade brake pads.

If it's the rotors, you can probably buy OEM-grade rotors for $30 to $40 apiece if you shop around. (You can get them turned, but that's so expensive nowadays that it's just about cheaper to buy new rotors.) Slotted rotors will cost twice that or more. If'n it were my truck, after I checked to make sure everything was tight, tires were properly inflated and in good condition, wheels were balanced, suspension in good working order (the old bouncy-bouncy test, check bushings for play) and so forth, I'd put new OEM-grade rotors on it. If that fixed the problem, swell. If it came back after a short time (short time being less than two years) I'd figure I needed a rotor upgrade and go with something higher-tech. If it didn't, then I'd go with the full rotor/pad upgrade. Sure, I'd be out the seventy bucks, but sometimes you have to gamble.

Dreamer

Check for loose front wheel bearings too. Have you ever repacked them (good thing to do).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not being rude, but do you shift to a lower gear to let the engine help control your speed?

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

*I* do, but I didn't write the original message. D
Reply to
Dreamer

I turn off the O/D when going downhill...manual trans and can't really do better than that at hwy speeds.

Reply to
GT

Long downhill = about 3/4 to 1 mi. tire pressure is per factory specs. Had new tires put on and balanced about

1.5 yrs ago...no affect on problem. No suspension problems on the old bounce and look/listen test. Thanks for your thoughts.

higher-grade

Reply to
GT

Mine's a manual tranny, not a 4x4 and no overdrive though. I've driven on some long (more than a mile) downhill grades at highway speeds, like on I-5 down around LA area or coming over the Tehachapi pass in CA, and gearing down was quite adequate for speed control. I also un-learned my bad habit of using the clutch to coast down hills (I coast on off-ramps to decelerate, it seemed logical (back when I started driving) to do the same for hills, boy was I wrong!) Now I'll brake without pushing in the clutch and use the engine for a majority of the braking power on hills. What degree of incline are you talking about? 5% grade, 7%, or worse? Engine whine might be disconcerting but you get used to it.

Reply to
Pookerz

Sorry AUTO trans

Reply to
GT

Had a severe brain cramp (long day) ...it's an automatic trans. Since it sounds like you're familiar with the LA area, I notice it slightly on the downhill in Sepulveda Pass (turning off the O/D here really seems to help) and it's very bad on the grade on the 101 from Thousand Oaks to Camarillo.

httQb.3198$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnil> > >

Reply to
GT

You can still use engine braking on an automatic - it's just not a good idea to do it very often. :)

Dreamer

It's cool, I knew what you meant. This is a strange one. Heaven knows I'm no expert, but I have to agree with the idea that the rotors are to blame in some way...

Tom...

Reply to
TOM
1-25-04 No adjustment to wheel bearings on a 98. Are you using your parking brake periodically to adjust the rears so they help with braking? Have you checked the lug nut torque to be sure they are not causing some warpage? Keep us posted. Ed
Reply to
Ed Herman